Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Impressions of new 08 Sig. Series

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Default Impressions of new 08 Sig. Series

Well we've had it for about a week so I wanted to give you all some of my thoughts about it.

Fist off it's a new 08, so it's got the lifetime power train warranty. I could have gotten a used 09 with the J package for about the same $'s, but hated to give up the warranty, so basically it was an 09 with navigation and captains chairs in the second row (with 12000 miles) or the new 08 with the lifetime power train warranty.......I took the warranty. I have already ordered a Garmin, it has almost all the features of the nav. system at a fraction of the cost.

So far we love the ride, very smooth and lost of power (it's the Hemi with tow package). Mileage?......not so good. Combined it's getting around 16 so far, but most of that is rural highway. Hopefully it'll get better with more miles.

We also really love the mygig system, even though it's the non nav. version it still has lot's of nice features.

Fit and finish seem really good so far, we looked at Expeditions because that's what we have now (didn't trade it) and I'd have to say the interior of the Aspen's are nicer. To get the same features in a Ford Ex or Chevy Tahoe we would have had to spend another $7 to $10 grand. It does seem smaller than the Ex though, they say it has more cargo space but it doesn't seem like it to me.

Dislikes? I can feel it when it goes in or out of "fuel saver" mode, not that it's an annoyance, just that it's noticeable, almost like feeling the AC kick in. The only other thing I can think of (other than the mileage which isn't totally unexpected) is I wish Chrysler would have put the shifter on the counsel, not a big deal but I just like the look of it better there. Oh, and another power plug up front would have been nice too, with no lighter all you have is one on the dash and one in the storage in the counsel. I never really use that one 'cause it's always hard to find a place for the cord.

Overall we are very happy with it so far. We are going on a trip next week so we should get more of a feel for it then. Hopefully it'll treat us as well as our EX has, 183000 pretty much trouble free miles on that, and nobody wanted to give me anything for it, with such low miles I can't imagine why!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Banned

Good to hear you're happy with the Aspen.

Any cargo volume specs should be taken with a grain of salt--there are many ways to cheat them, and no strict unified standards.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:16 PM

Ok, we got back from our road trip to Il., the Aspen drove very nice. Some of the things we noticed on our longer trip.

The ride is very nice 98% of the time, but on really big bumps it tends to "kick" the back end to the side a bit. I assume it's because of the solid rear axle, with independent rear suspension I don't think you'd get that, but you would most likely give up some towing capacity.

Mygig worked nice, loved having the rear DVD for the kids, sure makes those long hours go by quicker. Did have a glitch a few times while on sat radio, it wouldn't switch to the info of the next song, when I would change channels and then go back it would update it. Not real sure it is a mygig problem, may be a sat. radio thing but I've never seen it on my old radio.

Mileage was...... what can I say, a little disappointing. Mostly interstate speeds so between 65-75, except through construction zones . On the way out I averaged 17.6, I was fairly happy with that. Drove around town some and then home, by the time I got home it had dropped to 16.3. I was going into a 25-30 mph wind the whole way home so it probably isn't unexpected.

Just a side note, my brother-in-law has a 08 BMW X5, very nice. I would say around town the ride of the Aspen is as good, other than the prior mentioned bigger bumps. Sound level in town is also about the same, at interstate speeds the BMW is quieter, less wind noise. Also the BMW's nav/radio is nicer, not touch screen but has a **** on the coucel that you rotate and click like a mouse to select what you want, has a bigger screen too. He did say he only gets around 16 mph around town though, and thats with a V6 that doesn't have the power of the Aspen. He was impressed driving the Aspen, I don't have a clue what he paid for the BMW either.

Overall still very happy, and really LOVED the fact that you don't see one at every corner! Only saw two Aspens on the way out and one on the way home, and thats traveling over 1000 miles.