Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Instrument Cluster Dead on 2007 Chrysler Aspen

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Default Instrument Cluster Dead on 2007 Chrysler Aspen

No instruments, no horn, no blinkers, no wipers, no heated seats. The car seems to run OK and the heater/AC works, radio works, power seats work and headlights work. I ran a scan and got code U1403. ANy suggestions on what might be wrong?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:56 AM

That code is just the PCM telling you it can't get the fuel level signal from the Cluster. (It goes from tank-cluster-front control module-pcm) Slap the dash and see if it reacts at all. I'm guessing your dome lights are dead too?

Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 PM

I was just informed by an auto service company in Round Rock, TX that the instrument cluster needed replacement. Including the analysis they did, they're charging me $683 to do the job, including tax. They charge $105 for the analysis. A local Chrysler dealership said they would charge $562 just to replace the cluster not including an analysis. The vehicle has less than 60000 miles on it.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 PM

Here's the actuator test instructions:
ACTUATOR TEST

The instrument cluster actuator test will put the instrument cluster into its self-diagnostic mode. In this mode the instrument cluster can perform a self-diagnostic test that will confirm that the instrument cluster circuitry, the gauges, and the indicators are capable of operating as designed. During the actuator test the instrument cluster circuitry will position each of the gauge needles at various calibration points, illuminate all of the segments in the Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) unit, and turn all of the indicators ON and OFF again.

Successful completion of the actuator test will confirm that the instrument cluster is operational. However, there may still be a problem with the CAN data bus, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the Front Control Module (FCM), the Transmission Control Module (TCM), the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC), the Controller Anti-lock Brake (CAB), the Sentry Key REmote Entry Module (SKREEM) (also known as the Wireless Control Module/WCM) or the hard wired inputs to one of these electronic control modules. Use a diagnostic scan tool to diagnose these components. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

1.Begin the test with the ignition switch in the OFF position.

2.Depress the odometer/trip odometer switch button.

3.While still holding the odometer/trip odometer switch button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the engine.

4.Release the odometer/trip odometer switch button.

5.The instrument cluster will simultaneously begin to illuminate all of the operational segments in the VFD unit, and perform a bulb check of each operational LED indicator. The VFD segments and LED indicators remain illuminated as each gauge needle is swept to several calibration points and back. If a VFD segment or an LED indicator fails to illuminate, or if a gauge needle fails to sweep through the calibration points and back during this test, the instrument cluster must be replaced.

6.The actuator test is now completed. The instrument cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test. The actuator test will be aborted if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, or if a vehicle speed message indicating that the vehicle is moving is received from the PCM over the CAN data bus during the test.

7.Go back to STEP 1 to repeat the test, if necessary.
The cluster itself is $278.30 on parts.com, and might be cheaper elsewhere.

Good luck with the repair.

Last edited by 15951a\; 02-15-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 AM

Could you recommend a maintenance/repair manual that would provide instructions like these. The owner's manual certainly doesn't help. I sincerely appreciate the information you provided.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:18 PM

I use alldatadiy.com for both my cars -- inexpensive and pretty decent detail.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:40 PM

We picked up the car from the shop Wednesday afternoon and everything seemed OK until my wife got in it the next morning to go to work. When she cranked the car up the following warning lights came on and stayed on: ABS, Brake, anti-skid (??), and one other. Took the car back to the shop this morning to find out the ABS module needs replacing at $700 which includes a $92 fee for doing the analysis. The technician said the bad instrument cluster could have caused the ABS module to go out. Is that likely to be the cause? I know the part on Parts.com is only $188.60. Is this something a novice like me could probably remove and replace. And if I did, is it a plug & play part or would a technician have to do something to the car once it is installed? Also, how easy is it to get to? Thanks again for the advice.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 PM

It pays around 2 hours for labor if the dealer does it, and it shouldn't take nearly that long. $700 sounds excessive, and I can't believe they're charging you an "analysis" fee for not getting it completely right the first time. You have to remove the left front wheel to get to it.

By the way, I have a friend with a Volvo, and a bad ABS module caused his cluster to stop working. The cluster was fine after the module was replaced. I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying...

Last edited by 15951a\; 02-17-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanks again for the information. This whole experience is frustrating.