Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Need advise from the Experts/Techs

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:47 PM

I know that the plugs are copper and thats another thing he said.
No they arent.......I'll double check, but I believe the upper row of plugs to be BOSCH YTRYDIUM

08, and 09 are a world apart for the 4.7.............

T-case fluid is usually 60k, My dealership does this as a package with Trans fluid replacement....

Diffs...???? UM,....... 45 'ish, unless you have been subjected to water intrusion (Boat Launching, or driving thru the creek).....

Now having said that.......Our reputation with Pinion seals is horrible, so this would be a good time to check and correct the fluid levels, even if you decide not to replace the fluid.....

Old 02-12-2011, 07:51 PM

4.7L

CAUTION: This engine uses TWO DIFFERENT types of spark plugs. A total of 16 plugs are used. The plugs are mounted in two rows (banks). The upper row (5) is used on the intake valve side of the cylinder head. The lower row (6) is used on the exhaust valve side of the cylinder head. The upper row (5) uses Bosch Nickel Yttrium plugs. The lower row (6) uses Bosch Iridium plugs. DO NOT INTERCHANGE THESE PLUGS.

1. Remove necessary air filter tubing and air intake components at top of engine and at throttle body.

NOTE: To remove the upper row of spark plugs (5), each individual ignition coil (2) must be removed first.
2. Remove the ignition coil(s) (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Ignition Control/COIL, Ignition - Removal)
3. Prior to removing the spark plug(s), spray compressed air into cylinder head opening. This will help prevent foreign material from entering combustion chamber.

CAUTION: Due to tight clearances between UPPER row of plugs (5) and cylinder head, a conventional deep, thick-wall spark plug socket will not fit. Use a deep, THIN-WALL 5/8” spark plug socket for plug removal and installation.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to clean any of the spark plugs. Replace only.

4. Remove the spark plug(s) and inspect their condition.

Need advise from the Experts/Techs-plugs.jpg

Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 PM

Intake plugs are 48K Exhaust are 96K (all 16 plugs at 96K). Also do the wires at 96K

Spark Plugs (4.7L Engine)
BOSCH® Nickel Yttrium Spark Plug (intake side)05149050AB
BOSCH® Iridium / Platinum Spark Plug (exhaust side)05149888AA

ALL plugs at 30K
Spark Plugs (5.7L Engine)NGK® Yttrium Spark 05149177AB (LZFR5C-11G)

These are new type plugs to us so we really don't know how far you can push them beyond the mileage limit.

BTW, your dealer sevice dept sounds dippy. Some areas of the country have good dealer service depts, others don't and I can tell you i've met some real winners from those areas. No clue I tell ya. My dealer is packed with techs and customers. We get plenty of experience and then some. The guys really know their stuff for the most part. Then there are these places where they work on more tractors than cars. I thought all those places got shut down but I could be wrong. Then there are the areas where almost everyone drives a dually diesel cummins and they never see a 300 or a minivan. You get the idea.....

Last edited by TNtech; 02-12-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
Intake plugs are 48K Exhaust are 96K (all 16 plugs at 96K). Also do the wires at 96K

Spark Plugs (4.7L Engine)
BOSCH® Nickel Yttrium Spark Plug (intake side)05149050AB
BOSCH® Iridium / Platinum Spark Plug (exhaust side)05149888AA

ALL plugs at 30K
Spark Plugs (5.7L Engine)NGK® Yttrium Spark 05149177AB (LZFR5C-11G)

These are new type plugs to us so we really don't know how far you can push them beyond the mileage limit.
This is great information. Do you know why they switched from copper to Yttrium for the Hemi's plugs? Usually this would be done if there was an issue with the copper plugs, or to extend the service interval. Are the newer vehicles with the Hemi engine running an extended service interval for plug changes? If so, there's our answer.

**EDIT** I just checked the manual for a 2010 SRT w/the 6.1 Hemi, and it has a 102k mile interval for spark plugs. I'm guessing that this means the new plugs can go longer than 30k, and there is no compelling reason to change them every 30k as long as the new plugs are used.

Are all dealers using the new plugs, or are they using the cheaper copper plugs unless requested??

Last edited by 15951a\; 02-12-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
No they arent.......I'll double check, but I believe the upper row of plugs to be BOSCH YTRYDIUM

08, and 09 are a world apart for the 4.7.............

T-case fluid is usually 60k, My dealership does this as a package with Trans fluid replacement....

Diffs...???? UM,....... 45 'ish, unless you have been subjected to water intrusion (Boat Launching, or driving thru the creek).....

Now having said that.......Our reputation with Pinion seals is horrible, so this would be a good time to check and correct the fluid levels, even if you decide not to replace the fluid.....
See, this is a great example. The manual says replace the T-case fluid and transmission fluid at 60k if you're using the vehicle for taxi use or similar hard usage. Your dealer says do it at 60k regardless.

The manual says replace the diff fluid at 18k, again if using the vehicle for taxi, police, fleet, off-road, or frequent towing. Your dealer says 45k is good enough, with no real conditions.

It all seems to be hocus pocus, but I'm doing my best to make judgement calls and keep everything in good shape.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:15 PM

Hey TN.....

I just checked Dealerconnect Maintenance schedules, and it says 30 k for top row, 102k for side row, with the cabels being replaced at 102k.

BUT......There is a note at the top that says Upper row uses STANDARD PLUGS, Side row uses PREMIUM plugs..... But yet, It gives the Bosch # for the Yttriums in the top row?

????????????

Old 02-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

I cant believe we are using BOSH plugs now what the hell

Old 02-12-2011, 10:35 PM

?? Long Live RN12YC???

At least the Hemi's still use The NGK's

Old 02-12-2011, 11:30 PM

They can't make up their mind. Daimler/Chrysler/Fiat. Everyone wants something different and has a back to scratch...lol. Which supplier can kiss the best @ss

Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 AM

The manual that came with my Aspen has the plug change scheduled for 45k, not 30k like is stated in the downloadable manual. I asked my dealership that does my warranty work, and they said 45k would be fine if that's what my manual states.

Quick Reply: Need advise from the Experts/Techs