Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

New Aspin Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Default New Aspin Owner

Hello. Just purchased a 2009 Chrysler Aspin Limited, Cool Vanilla. I have a question that maybe some of you can help me out with. I must say I love the looks and style of the car. Being the grandfather in a growing family, I needed something bigger than my Mazda CX9. The Aspin seemed to be the ticket i was looking for, I like to refer to it as a poor mans Escalade. Ok now to my question:
the milage on the car is not great, it already has 35000 miles. So I am 1000 miles away from the end of the warranty but have 3000 or 3 months from the delership. I am not a fan of extended warranties but I am considering getting one from chrysler that will cost me about 1600 bucks for 3 years unlimited milage. Not really familiar with the Chrysler Aspin I guess what I am looking for is feedback from some owners who have a 09, What if any kind of problems have they encountered. Have many owners experienced major problems with their aspin. Thank you and I hope this vehicle runs as good as it looks....

Old 02-02-2011, 08:10 AM

I like to refer to it as a poor mans Escalade.
The "Other -Half" of the dealership I work at, handles Chevy / Cadillac. The escalade is an Overrated piece of trash that should be HAULED AWAY on garbage day......
2009 Chrysler Aspin Limited, Cool Vanilla.
Awesome color isnt it?????

Ive been working with them since they were introduced....And really havent seen all that much. The trans cooler lines leak from the crimps, so have that checked and addressed immediately...The "HYBRID" versions were a joke, and hardly worth the effort, so if you have one, seriously consider the extension on the warranty.

Other than that, just water leaks, but that is common on antythig with a sunroof.. Make sure the drains are kept clean......If in doubt, let the tech at your dealer show you where they are.

Overall, Nice truck.....

Old 02-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the reply...yea the cool vanilla is what sold me, well sold me to buy the one with 35000 miles. Will have your issues addressed. going to get running boards on at the dealership as soon as they come in and i will mention that. No sun roof so no worries about that. I noticed on the car fax that a weatherstrip was replaced twice on the car, not sure where though. thanks again my friend. always nice to know there are people out there who are willing to help. Have a good day. Oh buy the way, dont have the hemi or the hybrid, have the 4.7.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 AM

That extended warranty seems quite high. I'd skip it. Just do the regular maintenance (per manual), and you'll be OK. Use the oil it's spec'd for, change it every 6 mo/6k/OLM (oil life monitor) -- whichever comes first. I've had my Aspen for 1 year now (bought it new), and it hasn't been back to the dealer yet. I do have some wind noise when high cross-winds are present. I heard there's a TSB out for the window seal?

Good luck with your new Aspen. You'll like it.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the input. Im actually a 3000 mile oil changer , been that way my whole life. Will that be overkill on this vehicle?? Mechanic always checks owners book for oil vescosity.
Maybe that is what the two weatherstirips replaced on my vehcile were, for wind noise. Have to ask the dealer when i go back for the running boards and see if he knows. Was listed in the car fax and have no clue what they replaced.
Only drove the car about 100 miles. Takes a little getting use to. Never drove anything that big. Actually never drove a truck, always cars and crossovers. But so far i like it. And man it looks great. Nice to know that if problems arise I can always go to this forum for advise. Thanks my friend and have a good day.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
The trans cooler lines leak from the crimps, so have that checked and addressed immediately...
Do they replace the whole line when there is a leak or is their a repair for the "crimp" leak
I noticed a couple drips on my garage floor now that it is finally drying up some from the snow dripping off of it. The line that appears to have some oil on it is runs right by the oil filter towards the radiator. Looks like it might be coming down from the crimp on the metal to rubber line connection. And how much does this repair $$ run when fixing this?
Thanks,

Old 02-04-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by bjatwood
Do they replace the whole line when there is a leak or is their a repair for the "crimp" leak
I noticed a couple drips on my garage floor now that it is finally drying up some from the snow dripping off of it. The line that appears to have some oil on it is runs right by the oil filter towards the radiator. Looks like it might be coming down from the crimp on the metal to rubber line connection. And how much does this repair $$ run when fixing this?
Thanks,
Due to the compression fittings (the 'crimps'), 90%+ of mechanics will simply replace the lines. This is common on these vehicles and is a known problem according to the dealer.

My repair ran me about $230. I figured I'd have them drain the TC, change the filter and so on while they had the tranny drained. 50K miles, might as well...

Old 02-07-2011, 02:46 PM

OK Thanks, next question is....are the replacement lines the same "crappy ones" that were put on the vehicle new? Or have they been updated to prevent premature "edription" after a short time...

Old 02-07-2011, 04:04 PM

same old lines, new part number.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 PM
DAD

I wonder why somebody has not came out with an after market replacement for these trans cooler lines?