Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

New tires @ < 2000 mi

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Default New tires @ < 2000 mi

I'll try to make a long story short. We purchased our new 09 Aspen in the first part of Feb. We drove 220 mi (1 way) to buy it. It was the only dealer within a 500 mi radius -- which still had a new one. On the ride home, we noticed the OEM tires would shake and wobble once you got around 70 MPH. I though it was due to flat-spotting -- since the vehicle sat on the lot for over 1 year (only had 34 mi on it). I was hoping the tires would even out with time. Well, they got worse. I took it to a local Goodyear dealer (I had the OEM 18" SRAs). They checked each tire, and stated they were all "out-of-round", and not flat-spotted. They stated Chrysler should replace them, because they are an authorized GY dealer as well. They charged me $0 for checking. GY stated they wouldn't get credit for them, but the dealer would.

I called my local serviceman to explain the situation. He stated they would check it out, but if it were the tires, they would send my back to GY. I knew it was the tires, so I didn't bother with them. I went back to my local GY shop. They stated they would replace them for free, but I would have to pay the $70 mounting/balancing fee. I was more than fine with that. I then asked if I could "upgrade" from the mediocre SRAs. He said I could. I upgraded to the Wrangler Silent Armors, and paid $230 total out-the-door. The Wrangler SAs retail for $218 ea. They seem to get good reviews. I've had them on for 1 week now. They seem great thus far. They look nice and meaty, ride well, and have low noise on highway. If you turn the radio off, you can barely hear the AT tread on highway. I FINALLY have a smooth Aspen now.

I'll report back once I have them for a few years.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 PM

If it makes you feel any better, the stock tires aren't very impressive even when they aren't out of round. They are prone to cupping and wear fairly quickly. You picked up a great replacement tire for a very good deal - very smart move in addressing this before you had enough wear on the stock tires for the dealer to give you grief about it.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:14 AM

I have an 08 with the 20 inch wheels with >40k miles. Looking for new tires soon too. Thinking about the Bridgestone Dueler HP Alenza (TireRack) - had them on my 04 Liberty and was very pleased. Anyone have other suggestions? Thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 07:26 AM

That's probably one of the best choices in your size. If you have prior experience with them, that's another plus. The Yoko Parada Spec-X seems to get good reviews as well. The Nitto Terra Grappler ATs look real mean -- if you want an off-road look (which is not what most Aspen owners are after).