Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Radio/Nav Screen Black

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Default Radio/Nav Screen Black

Hi there, I have a 2007 Chrysler Aspen and just recently the radio/nav screen went completely black, as did some of the controls in the climate control unit below it. The radio still works in the sense that you can hear the music etc, but you cannot see anything....any suggestions as to how to go about solving this problem? I'm thinking that if you can still hear the radio, it must not be a fuse, but does the whole unit need to be replaced? If so, does it have to be a factory unit in order to work with the VES in the back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-09-2021, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Robkin
Hi there, I have a 2007 Chrysler Aspen and just recently the radio/nav screen went completely black, as did some of the controls in the climate control unit below it. The radio still works in the sense that you can hear the music etc, but you cannot see anything....any suggestions as to how to go about solving this problem? I'm thinking that if you can still hear the radio, it must not be a fuse, but does the whole unit need to be replaced? If so, does it have to be a factory unit in order to work with the VES in the back?

I was wondering if u ever figured out the black screen problem cause I have the same exact issue going on with mine. . The screen comes on when the truck starts but then goes black n radio works but only on the channels that r already programmed in. Hopefully j can help me on this

Old 03-16-2021, 08:02 AM

If you can get the screen up and running for a bit...this is what to do.

You will need two blank ,recordable CDs (yes we are going to make a computer data cd easily)
***NOTE...FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY,EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED***
Go to: https://mygig-disk.com/index.php (copy/paste) in browser
This is the one stop free update center for these rer a.k.a. My Gig head units
You will lose all the hard drive music you put on it..no way around it
If you're hard drive is having reading problems only, I said only.. then it will need to be replaced before starting this
the HD is used for temporary storage of data updates
find your model in the right lower corner of the radio (printed ex:RER or REH, etc)
\find the available updates for you're unit.. YOU MUST COMPLETE EVERY UPDATE FORM THE PAST TO THE PRESENT
That means a repeat of every update, then the next ,then the next...can't jump to current update like on todays units and computers..will damage the units firmware
the info on the site is perfection...I updated my unit along the way (timeline)
Latest update ..when crank the car the intial screen shows a Jeep/Chrysler image. no biggie ..its all the same
once you follow the instructions on burning the ISO cds and start the process ,,it takes forever..make sure ya got enough gas to keep the engine running during this.
any power interruption during update will corrupt the firmware inside unit and it's FUBARED

This also has the Gracenotes updates for the hard drive. Gracenotes is what is used by the CD player when you put a purchased CD in.and unit reads it.
Grace notes id's the CD (artist/Albulm?art/songs..all that)...needs updated ..well cause new music needs new data..kinda antiquated system
The NAV does NOT get any update...........surprise...you have to pay for the update Cd get mailed to ya...hello 1965.......or use the nav as is or mapquest.
There was no internet update or tech like that back in 2007
Just don't shut the car off until the system says update is completed...fixes alot of problems along with yours
You're welcome..later.

Old 07-14-2021, 04:06 PM
Default Chrysler Aspen Radio /Nav screen is black

Originally Posted by Robkin

I discovered recently, that putting the entire unit in the freezer for 15 -20 min, and then immediately reinstalling; the screen will come back on for a few minutes and then disappear again. The screen when up, looks crisp & clear. It seems the unit is somehow sensing an over heat situation and shuts off, but unit is not hot anywhere, and cooling fan doesn’t even come on, yet the fan is good. ? Looking for suggestions! A close visual inspection suggests no blown caps!

Old 07-14-2021, 04:54 PM
Default Try

Originally Posted by Linker
I discovered recently, that putting the entire unit in the freezer for 15 -20 min, and then immediately reinstalling; the screen will come back on for a few minutes and then disappear again. The screen when up, looks crisp & clear. It seems the unit is somehow sensing an over heat situation and shuts off, but unit is not hot anywhere, and cooling fan doesn’t even come on, yet the fan is good. ? Looking for suggestions! A close visual inspection suggests no blown caps!
the screen goes black with and without headlights onbut sound and functions operate, would have to be the unit is bad.
If display out AND climate illumination is out the same way, would have to be ill. lead on harness.
you're original post included the climate panel "partially" was out. (Doesn't make logical sense) the ill. for climate is one circuit for illumination.
When screen is off, shine a flashlight at angle directly at screen and see if the imsge is there but like in the dark,distance. If so that would indicate a backlight ecm chip bad = replace unit.
If climate out still along withit, indicates ground fault for illumination. The system checks several vehicle functions before usual GUI as normal. This includes seat position, exterior mirror position, previous "auto"climate setting, etc. Notice sometimes the display will state ,"drivers settings 1" to tell you thats the seat and mirror settings youre on. It checks that at the memory button block on the drivers door. If ground there it faults part of the rest. Pull wire protection around drivers hinge and inspect CLOSE UP. This is more common than one would think .
Also pull panel and disconnect harness from window memory block. Try the radio now. If wont come on temporarily as before.leads me to believe poss window control bad or harness cracked a wire from use and time..
Gotta be one of these points cause the head unit still operates, minus screen. This head unit has to be the same replacement model
(# in lower corner of face) there isnt anywhere possible to try anything but to make system work..hope it helps, let me know what you find. There is a co. that does the rebuild/replacement . It may be better to get one salvage

Old 07-14-2021, 07:06 PM
Default Black screen Chrysler 2007 Aspen LCD Display

Originally Posted by bradleybbb
the screen goes black with and without headlights onbut sound and functions operate, would have to be the unit is bad.
If display out AND climate illumination is out the same way, would have to be ill. lead on harness.
you're original post included the climate panel "partially" was out. (Doesn't make logical sense) the ill. for climate is one circuit for illumination.
When screen is off, shine a flashlight at angle directly at screen and see if the imsge is there but like in the dark,distance. If so that would indicate a backlight ecm chip bad = replace unit.
If climate out still along withit, indicates ground fault for illumination. The system checks several vehicle functions before usual GUI as normal. This includes seat position, exterior mirror position, previous "auto"climate setting, etc. Notice sometimes the display will state ,"drivers settings 1" to tell you thats the seat and mirror settings youre on. It checks that at the memory button block on the drivers door. If ground there it faults part of the rest. Pull wire protection around drivers hinge and inspect CLOSE UP. This is more common than one would think .
Also pull panel and disconnect harness from window memory block. Try the radio now. If wont come on temporarily as before.leads me to believe poss window control bad or harness cracked a wire from use and time..
Gotta be one of these points cause the head unit still operates, minus screen. This head unit has to be the same replacement model
(# in lower corner of face) there isnt anywhere possible to try anything but to make system work..hope it helps, let me know what you find. There is a co. that does the rebuild/replacement . It may be better to get one salvage
My issue is the Screen only the Radio/CD/Nav unit.

When the screen is out, you seem to loose all button functions.. I.E. Can’t tune, Can’t do a channel search, Can’t switch from AM to FM or Visa Versa. Can’t switch to other modes like CD, or Sirius It will allow you to tune only pre programmed buttons. I will check later, but as I recall there is no screen image, so wasn’t suspecting a back light issue?

Regards

Old 07-15-2021, 08:36 AM
Default Screen only

Originally Posted by Linker
My issue is the Screen only the Radio/CD/Nav unit.

Regards
When the screen is out, you seem to loose all button functions.. I.E. Can’t tune, Can’t do a channel search, Can’t switch from AM to FM or Visa Versa. Can’t switch to other modes like CD, or Sirius It will allow you to tune only pre programmed buttons. I will check later, but as I recall there is no screen image, so wasn’t suspecting a back light issue?

o.k. making sense now. These models are notoriously known for ribbon cable connector faults. I.e. the darn things, even though "locked in place" for moving/shifting at the plug in connector. Especially on screens at back of head rests. Pull the unit and follow procedures for screen replacement (videos are available on Youtube) and I bet that connector is just ever so slightly loose. Cold to warm op temp could explain this as plastics expand and contract like everything else does. If not, replace the screen. These are available online as well per the the 3 alpha id (rer, reh,etc.) designation. Keep me updated. Also remember if backlight was a problem, it still would accept touch controls ( doesnt sound like ur issue, here). Hope you fix this "stone in your shoe"