Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Replacement Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:43 PM

I'm new to the site and a new Aspen owner. I recently bought an '08 with 42k miles and sure enough it needed shocks. I'm going to tow my race car in an enclosed trailer with the Aspen so I bought the Bilsteins and Firestone Coil-Rite airbags and installed them both at the same time.

I had to remove the rear wheels for installing the airbags and having the shocks off made that easier as well. Instead of messing with the shock length, put a jack under the rotor and raise lower suspension to meet the shock. Much easier than trying to make the shock reach the suspension.

I also removed the front wheels when installing the front shocks. It couldn't be easier and using a jack under the rotor is again the way to go. When installing the new shock, I found it easiest to bolt the bottom of the shock first because it threads into the lower part of the suspension then raise the assembly so the top of the shock is in position to push the bolt through the mount.

Thanks for the Bilstein part numbers and the other how-tos, it was all very helpful.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:58 AM

Great information here. I just had my original shocks replaced (158k miles), I know it was a bit late, but I wasn't see a lot of roll until the last few months. I put the Monroe Sensa tracks on and the ride was much smoother, however my alignment was way off. Pulling hard to the right. The shop that did it said the alignment was correct, and it showed on the invoice they checked it.

Now I'm waiting for a camber kit to arrive so my car doesn't drift to the right while driving as well as the constant vibration at 65-70. Did anyone else need to add an camber kit to the vehicle when replacing the shocks?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by NeonOn19s
Great information here. I just had my original shocks replaced (158k miles), I know it was a bit late, but I wasn't see a lot of roll until the last few months. I put the Monroe Sensa tracks on and the ride was much smoother, however my alignment was way off. Pulling hard to the right. The shop that did it said the alignment was correct, and it showed on the invoice they checked it.

Now I'm waiting for a camber kit to arrive so my car doesn't drift to the right while driving as well as the constant vibration at 65-70. Did anyone else need to add an camber kit to the vehicle when replacing the shocks?
Replacing the shocks shouldn't change your alignment (these aren't struts), and you definitely shouldn't need a camber kit. I think it's time to choose a new mechanic.

Assuming the shop DIDN'T mess something up, you might want to rotate the tires and see if that helps, or check for a stuck brake caliper.

Last edited by 15951a\; 07-15-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:58 PM

thanks for all the info hear. One of the first thing I need to do is to replace the shocks. I love my truck but the back bounces too much especially with passengers in the back.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:36 AM
Default Back seat bouncing

Originally Posted by djkamikaze
thanks for all the info hear. One of the first thing I need to do is to replace the shocks. I love my truck but the back bounces too much especially with passengers in the back.
The replacement shocks won't do much for the back seat bouncing (3rd row). It still behaves like an upgraded pickup truck. The shocks will just give you a little more control over bumpy road. I notice the difference when crossing train tracks ... before the Bilsteins and after 40,000 the truck would almost hop and "slide sideways".

Now it is more manageable at lower speeds.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:24 PM

just changed the OEM shocks front and rear (not stock, but worn OEM nonetheless) on my "new to me" 07 with 130K miles, and decided to go with the Monroe Reflex since they were readily available at my local parts store.. and the difference is amazing!! I can't imagine Bilsteins being better, but if they are, they are worth every penny! LOL..

Old 10-27-2015, 10:41 AM

I went with the Bilsteins and they are a ton better than stock. I may try the Monroe next time because the ride is still a bit stiff and I don't do much towing.

I imagine if I got myself a camper it would smooth right out.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ponderosa340
I went with the Bilsteins and they are a ton better than stock. I may try the Monroe next time because the ride is still a bit stiff and I don't do much towing.

I imagine if I got myself a camper it would smooth right out.
Next time? How long do you plan on keeping your truck? Bilsteins should last a long time, much longer than your OEs.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:50 AM

Well, I hear the Bilsteins will last about 80,000. I plan on keeping my Aspen indefinitely.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:44 AM

I finally replaced my shocks with the Monroe Reflex and the ride is much better than the stock oem ones. Them oem shocks were dead to the point that that it was effortless to push them together. Here is a link to my video when I replaced them.

Quick Reply: Replacement Shocks