Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Replacement Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 AM

I'm glad to see everyone having good experiences with changing out their shocks. The OEM shocks were a major flub in this vehicle. Good quality aftermarkets like the Bilsteins we're all installing make this truck what it should've been from the start.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by 15951a\
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to report that I had the same problem with bad shocks at 40k miles, and replaced them today with Bilsteins. The difference is remarkable. This is a highly recommended upgrade for those of you in the same boat. The install took 1 hour, and there were no problems with the parts.

Here's the part numbers if anyone's interested:

Bilstein HD replacement shocks --

F4-BE5-D910-H0 (front)
F4-BE5-D911-H0 (rear)
These are the old part numbers. After checking the web, the new part numbers are:
Front - 24-139106
Rear - 24-139113

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 PM

Hey guys, just installed the Bilstein shocks tonight, and after just a short test drive the difference is incredible. No more bouncing my way down the road. Just a quick question for those who have had the Bilsteins on for awhile. Do the shocks seem to maintain their performance? So far so good, thanks to everyone for the great advice.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:07 AM

One more quick question I thought about. Is there any concern about wheel alignment after replacing the shocks?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by pharmer
Hey guys, just installed the Bilstein shocks tonight, and after just a short test drive the difference is incredible. No more bouncing my way down the road. Just a quick question for those who have had the Bilsteins on for awhile. Do the shocks seem to maintain their performance? So far so good, thanks to everyone for the great advice.
I've had them for a year, and they ride the same as they did on day 1. I expected that they might "settle in" a bit, but they didn't.

If you find the ride a bit too jarring, put something heavy in the back of the vehicle. We had a bunch of luggage in the back during a trip, and the ride was glass smooth. These shocks are made to handle a lot of weight.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by pharmer
One more quick question I thought about. Is there any concern about wheel alignment after replacing the shocks?
No. You shouldn't need a wheel alignment unless you already needed one before the shock install.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 AM

^^^Correct.

Shock replacement, done by themselves, do not require an alignment after install. When you get into ball joints and tie rods especially, you should definitely get an alignment as soon after install as possible.

I've had the Bilsteins on for around 10,000 miles now, and I haven't noticed any decline in road feel or performance. From previous experience with Bilstein products, they're usually good for 60,000+ miles without any noticeable decline.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:53 AM

One final question hopefully. There seems to be some controversy in reading online about whether the shocks can be installed in either direction, what do you guys think?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM

They can, indeed, be installed either way. I installed them boot down due to the drain holes in the boots being oriented to allow drainage in this direction.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:57 PM

I ended up installing the front shocks with the boots up for 2 reasons: 1. The Bilstein logo was right side up in this orientation, and 2. The drain holes on the boot are facing down in this orientation. I guess in the end it really makes no difference since they can be mounted either way. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Replacement Shocks