Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Replacing burned out headlight

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Default Replacing burned out headlight

I am trying to replace a burned out headlight on 2007 Chrysler Aspen. I took to both the Chrysler dealership and Dodge dealership and neither one could figure it out. I have the tools, just need the steps. The Chrysler dealership removed the two top screws holding in the assembly but it is still stuck. Does the bumper have to be removed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Default RE: Replacing burned out headlight

not for sure but i think the owners manual has the instructions on how to replace the bulb. i think you have to remove a vent under the fender to get to the bulb i know you have to on the chrysler 300.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:29 AM

Hi. See page 407 and 408 in the Owner's manual. Says you have to go into the inner fender panel to get access to the headlamp assy. Looks like you have to pull the assy out to replace a headlight.
I will be doing this myself soon as I purchased some aftermarket bulbs I'm going to install.

Let us know how this comes out.
From the manual

BULB REPLACEMENT
Headlights/Parking/Turn Signal
1. Remove the two bolts attaching the headlight to the
upper fender reinforcement (hood must be opened to
access bolts).
2. Remove one nut that attaches the headlight to the
inner fender panel. Access to the nut is possible by
opening the fender panel access door which is located in
the wheel liner.
3. Grasp the headlight and pull firmly to disengage the
headlight from the fender panel.
4. While firmly holding the headlight in your hands
disconnect all connectors by following the procedure
described in step number 5 below.
5. Remove the bulb connector from the headlight making
sure to pull and release the red tab on all connectors.
Loosen the connector by pressing down on the black
and/or green release which is located below or above the
red tab. The green release is located above the red tab on
the H13, the black release is located above the 3457AK
red tab.
6. Twist and remove socket from lamp.
7. Remove bulb from socket and replace.
NOTE: These are Halogen bulbs. Take care not to touch
the bulb with your fingers. Body oils from your fingers
could cause excessive heat build-up which reduces bulb
life.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:19 PM
moe

BULB - HEADLAMPCAUTIONo not contaminate the bulb glass by touching it with your fingers or by allowing it to contact other oily surfaces. Shortened bulb life will result.[/b]

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

Remove the front lamp unit (1) from the front fender, but do not disconnect the headlamp and dash wiring from the back of the lamp housing. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - EXTERIOR/FRONT LAMP UNIT - REMOVAL) .

Disconnect the headlamp and dash wire harness connector from the headlamp bulb (3) on the back of the front lamp unit housing.

Firmly grasp the headlamp bulb and rotate it counterclockwise about 30 degrees to unlock it.

Pull the bulb straight out from the keyed opening in the housing.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:27 AM

well, almost got there.

Per austxus, I also could not yank the headlight assy out of the fender. The (2) top bolts and the large 1/2 bolt behind the trap door of the inner fender came out fine, but something is still restraining / retaining the assy in the fender. There's not much to grasp onto to pull out. It wiggles as if loose, but there's still something in the way.

Any ideas anyone? Is there a trick to pop it out w/o damage ?

Update 1.8.2008
I found some instructions on how to yank the assy out of a Durango. Same instructions, says pull the assy straight out of a ball socket that goes into the metal frame. Issue is there is nothing to grab onto to pull, w/o using some type of pry tool, but this applies side pressure. I know, I learned the hard way... a small piece (the end of a plastic dart) broke off and fell into the inner fender. Took it apart and retrieved it.
Not designed for user-serviceability.

Suggestions welcome.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:11 PM

Its a small world. I also tried to take out the chassy following the instructions in the manual and exactly the same thing that happened to you happened to me. The end of a plastic dart broke off from somewhere and fell into the inner fender.
However, my damage went a little farther. When I was trying to pull the chassy out, I could not do it, so I started to yank to side.
I pulled and pulled until finally I was able to pull outthe ball socket. At first I thought I almost had it, so I continued to pull to the side. After hours of doing this I gave up and proceeded the ball socked back in. This is where a little more damage happened.
I tried and tried to push the socket in, but since I had pulled the chassy so much to the side, it was very hard to push it back to where it was and then push it back in. I tried and tried until finally on a last try, I heard a pop and the chassy finally moved back to its place. I was happy, but when I looked inside, I noticed that a piece of round plastic was on the floor. This plastic wasglued to the opening where the socket goes and its purpose is to hold in place the socked so it wont move. Well I broke it and now evenafter I tightened all the bolts back, there is a very small movement whenenver I try topush the headlight chassy.
I lik you am trying to find/figure out how to take out the chassy.....We must be missing something orperhaps the instructions are not complete.....

Old 01-11-2008, 08:21 PM
moe

LAMP

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

Carefully pry up the lower edge of the access panel (1) from the access opening in the front of the front fender liner (2).

Lift the lower edge of the access panel upward far enough to access the nut that secures the back of the front lamp unit to the reinforcement in the front fender.

Reach through the fender liner access opening to remove the nut (6) that secures the stud (4) on the back of the front lamp unit (3) to the reinforcement of the fender (5).

Remove the two screws (1) that secure the top of the lamp to the upper inner reinforcement of the fender.

Grasp the lamp firmly and pull straight forward to disengage the ball stud (2) on the back of the lamp from the plastic grommet in the fender reinforcement.

Pull the lamp (1) away from the fender far enough to access and disconnect three wire harness connections from the back of the lamp:

a.
front park/turn signal bulb socket (2)

b.
headlamp bulb (3)

c.
side marker bulb socket (4)

Remove the front lamp unit from the fender.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 PM

Hi Moe
Thanks. I tried this twice. There is nothing to grab onto to pull the headlight assy out. The best you can do is try to stick your fingers between the assy and the body panels and wiggle it.When I thought I was making progress, I must have put too much lateral pressure on the assy. I popped a piece of a pointed plastic 'arrow' out (broke it off) into the inner fender and retrived it to see what it was.'

I continued on and tried to pull the assy forward, but was scared as it was not 'giving'. See prior post from cognacaspen (boy I needed one then!)

We'd like some input from someone that successfully pulled these assemblies out.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2008, 04:54 PM
moe

its those ball studs that get you you think your going to break something.i often spray the studs with wd40.before hand.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:09 PM

Thanks Moe, but you can't see a darned thing from inside the fender panel and that small opening. Do you suggest sticking the spray stick of WD40 inside the trap door and spraying away to loosen up the assy? That opening isn't bigger than a 3 x 5 memo card.

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Replacing burned out headlight