Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Replacing burned out headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Angry Replacing the headlight...extra part to dislodge

I know this forum is way old but I had to do this recently and found that there is a ball looking joint in addition to all the other pieces you have to make sure you dislodge and i have a pic of the piece
1. The first pic is a wider view of the assy with the part I'm talking about circled it was the part that was keeping the assy from coming out
2. Zoomed in a little tighter to see the part better and where it goes...both pic 1 and 2 are from the top down on the right headlight (if you're sitting in the car)
3. Shows the other pieces that give you a headache

Old 09-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Angry Replacing the headlight...extra part to dislodge

I know this forum is way old but I had to do this recently and found that there is a ball looking joint in addition to all the other pieces you have to make sure you dislodge and i have a pic of the piece
1. The first pic is a wider view of the assy with the part I'm talking about circled it was the part that was keeping the assy from coming out [IMG][/IMG]
2. Zoomed in a little tighter to see the part better and where it goes...both pic 1 and 2 are from the top down on the right headlight (if you're sitting in the car) [IMG][/IMG]
3. Shows the other pieces that give you a headache [IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Default Replaced passenger headlight

Gone are the days when you could open a hood, turn the bulb counter-clockwise, remove and replace.

Great pictures ElBee.

This was particularly difficult for me as it was -20C outside but at least the sun was shining. I too tried removing the 2 screws from the top of the light, and one inside the access panel (both 10mm), but could not remove the light without fear of damaging whatever else was holding it in place.

TOOLS :
- spare light bulb
- cotton gloves to handle the light bulb
- long flat head screwdriver
- flashlight

1. For the passenger side, turn the wheels all the way to the right (to replace the driver, turn them to the left)

2. Remove the access panel from under the wheel well. Push IN or push OUT? I pushed in, but found no room to fit my hand. While trying to pull it back out, it snapped.

3. Now you must unlock the red tab. Use one hole closest to the fender for viewing, the bigger of the holes for the screwdriver to enter, and wherever else the flashlight fits for ample light. The red tab must be slid out about 0.5 cm to unlock. Use the screwdriver to wedge between the mount and red tab, and twist.

4. Reach inside the access panel and turn the bulb counter-clockwise. Pull it out and towards the access panel. The bulb should just reach far enough to complete the next step, but not all the way out of the panel.

5. Place the screwdriver between the wire mount and the plastic bulb base to wedge the mount off. Pull the bulb off.

6. Put on your cotton gloves and insert the new bulb. Use your fingers to squeeze the mount into the new bulb.

7. Wiggle the bulb into the socket, and turn clockwise. Less than 1/4 rotation, probably 1/8 a rotation to fit snug.

8. Now lock the red tab. Use the same procedure in step 3 with your viewing hole, the screwdriver, and flashlight. It should take minimal effort to push the red tab back in.

9. As a final step, I used the shiny silver metal duct tape to hold it in place. Cleaned all surfaces of dirt and dried with a towel. Stuck 4 pieces of tape to the access panel first, shoved it in, and fastened each tape to the wheel well fender panel. Not a great solution, nor does it look pretty, but it should only be temporary until I can figure out a better way. Need to find black tape to blend in with the panel.