Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Under dash hood release leaver does not return to full shut position

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 02:56 PM
Default Under dash hood release leaver does not return to full shut position

When I pull the hood release leaver (under dash) to release or unlock the hood, it unlocks (release) and goes to the safety latch. However, when I shut the hood, it may not latch. Sometimes it does, sometimes is does not. I have to push the release leaver to the full shut position. Sometimes the release leaver only returns to about 2/3 or 3/4 of the distance. I used to have a digital Gen 2 Durango manual. However, computer crashed and it was lost. Otherwise, would look in manual.
Questions:

Is there a spring under the dash to return the hood release leaver to full closed position?

Or is there a spring under the hood for the hood release leaver? There is a spring for the hood hatch. That spring keeps the hood shut.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:30 PM

Get some GOOD penetrating spray oil (like PB BLASTER) and spray the heck out of the hood latch unit on the radiator cross support! All "spring" action is done there, it is just a sheathed cable from the dash to the hood.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks Rebel59.

Was looking under dash. No flashlight to see with but looked sealed.

Will spray.

Also, thanks for pointing me to location. Do not know what keys I pushed but certainly did mess up.

Thanks again.