Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

04 AWD Pacifica has Clunk from the front

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM

rydout, were you able to find solutions? 15mpg is poor, even for a Pacifica. I just took a 5,500 mile trip and got 23-24 highway, which was about 460 miles per tank. It is approaching 180,000 miles. Regarding the battery, sounds very much like an electrical short. Testing yourself would be hit-and-miss, and you might get lucky. A good mechanic should be able to find it quickly with a computer diagnostic.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM

Actually, just got the car back from Chrysler... the clunk is a small issue, apparently the alternator is going bad and caused the battery to overheat, and the battery is dripping acid onto the engine wiring harness, and the current in the harness is carrying the acid all throughout, and I have to change that harness and possibly the body harness.... That is what was causing the p0499 and all the other codes... just ridiculous!

Originally Posted by Jincho
rydout, were you able to find solutions? 15mpg is poor, even for a Pacifica. I just took a 5,500 mile trip and got 23-24 highway, which was about 460 miles per tank. It is approaching 180,000 miles. Regarding the battery, sounds very much like an electrical short. Testing yourself would be hit-and-miss, and you might get lucky. A good mechanic should be able to find it quickly with a computer diagnostic.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Lucky you! My 04 Pacifica went in for tie rod end replacement and the mechanic showed me the engine cradle shot through with rust. Chrysler said that it had an extended warranty but when I submitted the bill they said my 04 didn't count...Chrysler is a piece of work.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 PM

Petition to try and have Chrysler properly address the issue:
https://www.change.org/petitions/chr...le-corrosion-2

Old 05-08-2014, 05:06 PM

I would agree with all. I've had my 2004 checked out by a local back woods garage (Old Ford Mechanic) and was able to actually stand under the car to inspect with him.

We both found that the car, although very rusty and also have pits in the front sub-frame, seemed to be in good condition other than the sway arm bushings. We physically gripped and moved it up and down and you could hear the infamous clunking noise.

This was something that has been haunting us since 2006. Also, it seems when you know exactly what it is, the clunking isn't so loud! Or you really just don't care!

Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 AM

subscribing...

Old 06-26-2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by karfreek
Ok, so using the info provided in this thread I was able to source aftermarket polyurethane bushings made by Energy Suspension. These are not direct fit but they bolt on with the new brackets that are included with the kit.

The part number is 9.5169R. the bracket needs a slight modification, I cut one one of the bolt slots straight through to match how the factory bracket was. This makes it easier for install and to make sure the bolts are straight for the reinstall. You do not want to cross thread the nut in the engine cradle, the slots on the new bracket are right at the limit of the bolt holes. Also you will need to put something around the stabilizer bar to ket it from moving as the new bushings are narrower. I used industrial zip ties.

Any questions just post back, I am subscribed to is thread and get an email when there is a post.

The car handles like it is on rails now. no waddling going down the road or clunking.

Jay
Jay,

I'm getting ready to have my mechanic change out the factory sway bar bushings and replace them with the Energy Suspension ones that you used. I need some clarification, though -- I don't quite understand what you meant when you said you used industrial zip ties. What are the zip ties holding in place?

Is there any chance you could post a picture of your completed repair? And after 2 years, how are the new sway bar bushings holding up?

Thanks,
David

Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 AM

We have the same clunk in the wifes pacifica. I have replaced lower A arms, new quick struts, bearing housings, sway bar links, rack/pinion, tie rod ends and just now the factory sway bar bushings. Did this all in the past couple months and the thing handles like a dream but the clunking is still there. I had welded some angle in to help stiffen the rotted out engine cradle which helped with the swaying. I hope to take the cradle out over the next week, reverse engineer it, and build one out of tube and plate. This thing is driving me nuts!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shep
We have the same clunk in the wifes pacifica. I have replaced lower A arms, new quick struts, bearing housings, sway bar links, rack/pinion, tie rod ends and just now the factory sway bar bushings. Did this all in the past couple months and the thing handles like a dream but the clunking is still there. I had welded some angle in to help stiffen the rotted out engine cradle which helped with the swaying. I hope to take the cradle out over the next week, reverse engineer it, and build one out of tube and plate. This thing is driving me nuts!!!

Shep, did you use the Chrysler bushings or an aftermarket bushing? I'm getting ready to do tie rod ends, sway bar links, quick struts, and the sway bar bushings myself.

I'm surprised that the noise is still there for you, because it seems like you've replaced the items that usually are the cause of the noise.

How about the motor mounts? Are they original?

Old 06-27-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1
Shep, did you use the Chrysler bushings or an aftermarket bushing? I'm getting ready to do tie rod ends, sway bar links, quick struts, and the sway bar bushings myself.

I'm surprised that the noise is still there for you, because it seems like you've replaced the items that usually are the cause of the noise.

How about the motor mounts? Are they original?
Yeah, I ordered them from Chrysler and put it in last night. The motor mounts are original but will replacing those when the cradle comes out. Sadly I have replaced about everything on this thing it seems in the past couple months but with getting a new house in the year so no new cars for awhile.

Quick Reply: 04 AWD Pacifica has Clunk from the front