Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

05 Pacifica 3.5 AWD - really bad MPG

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Default 05 Pacifica 3.5 AWD - really bad MPG

New member here looking for some advice... Have an 05 Pacifica 3.5 AWD, owned it for about 3 years, now has 60,000 miles. Over the last year or so, the MPG has dropped to 13 highway, driven conservatively. No check engine light, skipping or other drivability issues. And there's more soot in the Pacifica's tailpipe than my friend's Powerstroke pickup!

I have put a number of OBDII code readers on it, never get any codes. Oil is synthetic changed every 3500 mi. It always gets name-brand gas. New air filter every 7K, and replaced O2 sensor plus all the plugs (original NGK's came out perfect brown color and very clean and even) - nothing helps. Dealer says ECM flash is up to date.

This MPG thing has me stumped. I do about my car all repairs myself, but don't know what to try next here. It's obviously running way rich (as shown by soot in the tailpipe).

I have to admit that I'm really a Ford guy (have 2 V8 Explorers plus a Lincoln in the driveway). Has this car got a fuel filter or a fuel pressure regulator that I can replace?

thanks!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by n2epv
New member here looking for some advice... Have an 05 Pacifica 3.5 AWD, owned it for about 3 years, now has 60,000 miles. Over the last year or so, the MPG has dropped to 13 highway, driven conservatively. No check engine light, skipping or other drivability issues. And there's more soot in the Pacifica's tailpipe than my friend's Powerstroke pickup!

I have put a number of OBDII code readers on it, never get any codes. Oil is synthetic changed every 3500 mi. It always gets name-brand gas. New air filter every 7K, and replaced O2 sensor plus all the plugs (original NGK's came out perfect brown color and very clean and even) - nothing helps. Dealer says ECM flash is up to date.

This MPG thing has me stumped. I do about my car all repairs myself, but don't know what to try next here. It's obviously running way rich (as shown by soot in the tailpipe).

I have to admit that I'm really a Ford guy (have 2 V8 Explorers plus a Lincoln in the driveway). Has this car got a fuel filter or a fuel pressure regulator that I can replace?

thanks!

I average 12.2 in my 05 AWD Pacifica in hard bumper to bumper traffic. Tank of gas usually clocks in around 200 Miles for me because of traffic.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:32 AM

I understand that 13 MPG city is to be expected, but my beef is that the highway MPG isn't any better - it's 13 as well. And that's driving 60 - 65 MPH with the cruise control on!

I have a Ford AWD SUV that is bigger and heavier than the Pacifica and delivers 20 MPG all day long on the highway at 65 MPH. Plus it has a V8 which will blow the doors off my V6 Pacifica.

Talked to the dealer service dept today, and they suggested taking the intake plenum apart and cleaning it. If that doesn't fix it, it's getting traded in for a new Ford Explorer (which gets 25 MPG highway, by the way).

Old 07-08-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by n2epv
I understand that 13 MPG city is to be expected, but my beef is that the highway MPG isn't any better - it's 13 as well. And that's driving 60 - 65 MPH with the cruise control on!

I have a Ford AWD SUV that is bigger and heavier than the Pacifica and delivers 20 MPG all day long on the highway at 65 MPH. Plus it has a V8 which will blow the doors off my V6 Pacifica.

Talked to the dealer service dept today, and they suggested taking the intake plenum apart and cleaning it. If that doesn't fix it, it's getting traded in for a new Ford Explorer (which gets 25 MPG highway, by the way).
Totally understand. Can't get rid of mine just yet just bough the wife a 2012 Mazda2 and I have 2 years/20K worth of Warranty left on the Pacifica so I am stuck with it for at least 1 more year!