Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2005 Pacifica breaks down. Really?!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Default 2005 Pacifica breaks down. Really?!!

This is the 2nd new car I have ever owned. I cannot believe a car that I still owe 1 year on has broken down. Owned my Ford Taurus for 10 years and never a problem. Pacifica--What a piece of C**p!

Anyhoo, for the last week it has been doing a over revving start. Hard to describe but like when you haven't turned off your engine, and forget and then go to start it and the engine kind of screams at you. It would do that, hesitate and then start. Well it didn't start at all today, just made a horrible grinding noise. So off it was towed to the repair shop and I am looking at paying for a rental all while I still make my monthly car payments. Yes, we are a 1 car family.

Buyer beware! Don't buy a Pacifica. They suck gas and use oil.

And yes, ours was one that was recalled for the stalling while driving phenom. Now it makes a clunking ticking sound when driven over bumps or turns. Looks like there may be another recall?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:29 PM

Yes this car has had a few problems but overall they are pretty good cars. My 04 had rental coverage for the 3/36 period. Any other manufacturers have that?? Plus, being a new model year and first of a kind, I purchased the factory warranty for the rest of the car to give 7 years or 75k miles. Which brings up another point.... what is your power train coverage? Mine was 7 years 7kk miles. If a starter and under 75k miles, maybe it will be covered. I bought the higher years and lower miles since I don't drive more than 10k a year.

In 04 it worked like this for warranties.

bumper to bumper 3 year, 36k miles
Powertrain 7 year, 75k miles
bumper to bumper 3/36 to 7/75 purchased by me.

You did not tell us how many miles the car has on it. Is it mostly city or mostly highway miles. At your year cars age, we see 100k miles or more. Sounds like your starter went out. If car has high mileage with city miles with many starts, this sounds about right. Also.. you have a 6 year loan? Most loans are 4 years or less

By all means.. sell the car if you are so upset with it.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 AM

I believe our power train is 7 years. B to B was 3 years. I drove the Taurus just as much and like I said, never had a prob. Car loans can be 4-7 years depending on the size of down payment and what you can afford monthly. Ours was set up with a monthly budget in mind.

I guess what I am saying is a car 10 plus years and older I expect to have issues. Not a 2005. I would love to sell it but those decisions are not 100% mine to make and with 1 year left on the loan I don't feel the need to take out another. I can only imagine the trade in price I would get for it anyway, not much!

Yes I was guessing a starter but the last one I had go bad was on my 70s Gremlin GMC back in 1989. I guess my expectations on car parts are just too high. Or maybe, just maybe, things aren't made as well anymore but at least we get to pay more for them. I should have just bought a pony, more reliable and I could brush it's pretty hair.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 PM

Easier to put gas in the car than pick up after a pony

You have some good points. Ours at 2 years needed new clamps on the transmission lines cooler behind the grill. Seemed to be a common problem and there has been a few common problems for this car. The Chrysler's have never been known for good mileage. We could get 23mpg on the highway but around town was really bad. You have to think that part of this is because the pacifica is a very heavy car, but also is very safe. The reason my wife wanted it was because it had the best safety record and was stylish compared to a minivan (which I wanted). Unfortunately after having 3 kids.. we no longer fit in it anymore so it had to go. Guess what she drives now