Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2004 Chrysler Pacifica - Loose Steering and Shuddering

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Default 2004 Chrysler Pacifica - Loose Steering and Shuddering

Hi All,

I have an 04 Pacifica with a front end issue. The vehicle acclerates from a stop smoothly, but when I start accelerating again once I hit about 50 or higher, the front end shudders as load is put on the vehicle. It doesn't really feel like it is shuddering in a wheel (left or right), or in the steering wheel. It seems like it is coming from the center of the vehicle. It also does shake pretty violently when braking. A more few notes:

- Putting the vehicle into neutral and hitting the accelerator does not make it shudder - telling me that it is not an internal engine issue
- Shifting the engine down a gear while at high speeds revs up the rpms but does not increase the shuddering when under load - telling me it's not a transmission issue?
- Engine always shifts smoothly - no stuttering or hard shifts
- Steering also seems to 'wander' a bit while driving at high speeds

I'm thinking tie rods or sway bar... I popped under the vehicle and all outer boots and joints seem solid (no tearing, grease leaking, etc.).

Any advice is welcome! Thanks!
-

Old 08-11-2016, 05:46 PM

It sounds to me like you have some suspension issues. I would have the lower control arms checked as well as the rest of the steering components (tie rod ends, CV joints, wheel bearings etc.) I have found that cheap aftermarket components to be junk as compared to factory parts. If you buy aftermarket parts, I would suggest you get MOOG brand parts. You may have some issues with your drive shaft too causing the shuddering at high speeds, which could be a transmission (torque converter) issue too. Sounds to mt like you need to get it up in the air for a full inspection of suspension and drive line parts...

Old 11-11-2016, 04:25 AM

I have the similar issue. But in my case I noticed that it's related to level of rpm usually LOW 1300-1500 rpm while gear shifting. It became much better when I have added additionally 1 L of ATF fluid because transmission was low on fluid and my mechanic didn't noticed it because probably he didn't check the fluid level. So I would check the ATF fluid at the beginning and not only one time: at the beginning of trip (cold), in the middle and at the end when fluid is warm. But I was not able to completely rid out of shuddering because I still feel it just not so much now. So the next thing I would like to do to change ATF fluid and fill the new but still as long as it'is connected to particular speed or gear shifting it's not the suspension trouble. I don't think so.