Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

2004 Power Liftgate Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Default Power Liftgate problem

Hey NJDale, after reading through this thread and seeing your post, I'm betting the issue is the weather! I also have a 2004 Pacifica, live in NJ (South Jersey), and have been experiencing the same freezing temps that you have over the past few days. This morning, my lift gate started doing exactly the same thing yours is doing (won't latch or unlatch regardless of the automatic method used). The only way I get it to unlatch is to use a screwdriver manually.

After today, the rest of the week is going to be warm so I'm very curious to see if it starts working again.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:56 AM

Steve, let me know if you come up with anything. I have only had my Pacifica for two months and its been cold so I dont know if the problem is weather/temp related. Today, its almost 60 degrees out and it makes no difference with the gate. Regardless if the temperature is the reason, Im gonna have to fix it because I need my trunk space year round. I just hope the problem is the actuator and not the liftgate motor itself since I think thats a cheaper repair.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:30 PM

I had a similar problem. Gate wouldn't operate or stay up in cold weather. It was the struts - I guess they leak over time and then the gas contracts in the cold. I bought a pair of new ones on Amazon. Took about 10 minutes to pop them in. Works like new.

Amazon.com: Qty (2) StrongArm 6154 CHRYSLER Pacifica 2005 To 2008 Liftgate Tailgate Hatch Lift Supports Struts Springs Damper: Automotive Amazon.com: Qty (2) StrongArm 6154 CHRYSLER Pacifica 2005 To 2008 Liftgate Tailgate Hatch Lift Supports Struts Springs Damper: Automotive

Last edited by Bodavis; 02-23-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bodavis
I had a similar problem. Gate wouldn't operate or stay up in cold weather. It was the struts - I guess they leak over time and then the gas contracts in the cold. I bought a pair of new ones on Amazon. Took about 10 minutes to pop them in. Works like new.

Amazon.com: Qty (2) StrongArm 6154 CHRYSLER Pacifica 2005 To 2008 Liftgate Tailgate Hatch Lift Supports Struts Springs Damper: Automotive
Bodavis, trust me when I say my gate problem has nothing to do with my struts which support the gate. That would of been an easy fix to figure out and repair, but when I open my gate manually, it supports it's own weight just fine, although it will not even attempt to close on its own after I open it which should be a tell tale sign that the problem is the gate motor itself. Its either the door motor or the actuator locking motor that makes a clicking sound. I am just trying to confirm that with an actual mechanic before I spend over a hundred bucks on the motor. I have searched every internet thread out there but I just cant seem to get a straight answer for this.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:01 PM
Default Problem found... now I need a fix

Well, the cold was not the issue. I pulled out the lock actuator and opened up the unit. Once I did, the intense burning smell immediately told me what the problem was. The little motor inside (RS-385PH) was fried.
Now, I'm trying to find a replacement and, to my surprise, it's impossible to find!!! There are a bunch of rs-385ph but none have the worm gear needed.

So frustrated.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:43 PM

Yes its pretty frustrating. The only way is get one is by getting it from a salvage yard just make sure its working properly.