Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 T&C power liftgate problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Default 2005 T&C power liftgate problem

2005 T&C with power liftate. It will open and close OK manually, with no restrictions or binding. It will also work fine in the down direction when powered by the motor. The problem is that when it is opening (power assisted) it doesn't stop like I think it should at the fully opened position. I think it is over extending. I first noticed this when the lifting arm came loose from the motor lifting mechanism. I think it got in a bind and was forced loose when the motor didn't stop.

There is a switch on the motor/gear assembly that is engaged when the liftgate nears the fully open position. I'm assuming that when this switch engages, the motor is supposed to stop. It doesn't stop. The motor keeps pushing the gate up until it binds and then it stops. (I guess that at this point the pressure sensing circuits are activated and tell he power module to turn the motor OFF.) I have checked continuity of the switch and it is working OK when engaged

My questions: 1. Do I understand how this is supposed to work? Am I on the right path?
2. If so, will replacing the liftgate power module correct this problem?
3. Is there some software update that will fix it?
4. If I replace the module does it have to be programed somehow?

Thanks for any help.

bestdog

Old 08-06-2014, 03:44 AM

Not my field of expertise, but many of these motorized devices have a slipping clutch in the motor assy. which could have a malfunction, this should be easy to check as it's a plain mechanical device. Quite a common device in motorized lenses etc. which prevents the motor being stalled and possibly damaged.

Leedsman.