Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Awd

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Default Awd

Hey all... Can someone give an exact explaination of how the AWD system works? I have an '04. First snow started coming here and i got stuck in it. Front tires spin and spin and the rear just sit there. Brought it into the dealer to check my AWD and they said it's fine. Brand new dealer tires were put on just to make them happy. They also got me for a transfer case oil change too.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:35 PM

AWD is supposed to drive all wheels all the time.

BTW, if you are spinning your wheels you'll never get out of a snowbank. The secret to driving in snow is to imagine you have raw eggs taped to the pedals. Be very gentle with use of the gas and brake and you can navigate most any snow with 2 wheel drive.

Apply only enough power to get the car moving and no more. You may need to rock the car back and forth to get out, but again, gently with no wheel spinning is what's called for.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 AM

I think it's nornal if your wheels start spinning that this would happen. it's not a locked differential system. use the autostick and start in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:57 PM

Hi,

seems I posted this once before here, but take a look at this video. Produced by Subaru, it is designed to showcase their AWD system versus the import competition. I would think our Pacifica's would compete poorly in this test too. I think our AWD system was primarily engineered as a handling enhancement as opposed to being an all weather system. Just an opinion. But you will see on the video that AWD doesn't always equate with off road type driveline performance.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:12 PM

well exactly what happened was that the car was totally stuck after the plow did it's evil deed. My brother gave the gas gently and I stood back to watch because I wanted to see for myself. What I saw was the front tires start going, then they slipped and started spinning... both sides. I told him to hold the throttle right there. I checked both rear tires and they were not moving. If you look at this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2UYHE--EI0 , you can see the rear tires kicking up snow from a stop. On top of all this, I just had the car inspected and he only had the front tires on the rollers cause he didnt realize it was AWD. Passed no problem.

I totally understand the point you were making busboy4... if i didnt feel a big bang in the drive train a while ago, realize I have a LOT more power at the front wheels, have better gas milage, and not feel the occasion dragging of the rear tires when making tight turns, then I would agree that the car was just not made to put out that much torque to the rear.