Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

AWD Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Default AWD Question

Hey all. I have an 04 AWD and I have a question. I dont feel that the AWD system is working. When I first got the car, I used to feel it, but now I swear I'm only working as a FWD car. Here's my symptoms:

-On wet pavement, if I give the gas even 1/3 the way, I can sit there for about 8 seconds spinning one of the front tires. If I let off, let it catch, then ease into it again, once again I'm spinning my tires.
-Also if it's wet or icey, if im doing like 15mph and maaaaaaybe floor it, im spinning my front tire for a second or 3.
-At a stoplight, I'll give a little more than usual (evil grin), and im screeching my front tire through the intersection and leaving a little trail of smoke.
-and my final reason why i think it's not working is, earlier this year when we still had snow, I had to get pulled out of 3-4 inches of snow cause my front tire would just spin.

Brought it to the shop and they put it up on a lift and showed me the tires all spinning. My feeling is that there is no torque going to the rear when the fronts start slipping. So, they do a transfer case fluid change and I'm ready to go back bitching. Am I wrong here? Is this how the AWD works on this car? Anyone know excatly how so I have some knowledge when I go back to the dealer?

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:27 AM

Hi,

Take a look at this video. It is basically a plug for Subaru, and does not specifically reference the Pacifica, but it is informative about AWD design and limitation. I would put our AWD in the "less refined" category based simply on my own experiences.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:58 AM

dam work network blocking you tube!! ill check it out. I did just talk to a totally different guy at the dealer. He told me that its not really 50/50 and I told him I knew that. But when I first got the car, I could floor it on wet ground, get a little slip here and there, and take off. I was actually impressed with the AWD system cause I just figured an 80/20 90/10 ratio on it. Now I just spin tires. He did ask if I have the factory michelins on it because those tires are soft and sticky. Of course I coudnt pay $350 a tire so I told him no, I have Cooper Z rated. He said it might be too hard of a compound and thats why im slipping... but bring it in and he'll check it out.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:05 PM

Don't let the dealer put you off.
I had the same exact problem. Dealer I bought it from showed me the wheels turning on the hoist.
What a joke. Went to another dealer who took it for a test drive and had the entire AWD system replaced under warranty.
Now I have AWD again.

I have to chuckle as I drive a Subaru also and to me the Pac system is quite similar in response to the Subaru AWD.

Bob

Old 10-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Banned

What you describe should not be happening. Time to find a dealer that knows what it's doing.