Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Question on AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Default Question on AWD

Simple question I guess.

How do you know if the AWD is actually working on a 2004 PAC?
We just received about 9 inches of snow.
Car seems to do ok, but at one point, it "sounded" like only the front was spinning.

Is there any sort of indicator like or any way to actually tell (short of having someone watch) to know if the AWD is working?

Old 01-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Default RE: Question on AWD

All Wheel Drive means the 4 wheels will independently engage only when needed, i.e. if the front wheels lose traction then the rear wheels will kick in as needed. All 4 wheels don't spin all the time - that's 4 Wheel Drive, which is different. So I doubt you have a problem from the sounds of things.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the reply.
Like I said, It does "seem" to be doing very well considering the conditions.

I was hoping that just maybe, an indicator light would kick on.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 PM

I don't even have a Pacifica (just thinking about buying one) so I can't help you there. I have an Olds Aurora with traction control, and a Ford Explorer with Auto 4x4 (kinda like AWD). The Olds has an indicator light when TC kicks in, but the Explorer doesn't... so it could go either way on the Pac. I'm sure another owner can chime in and let you know. You could also call a dealership and they should know, or check your owner's manual and there should be some reference to how the system works.

I don't even have a Pacifica (just thinking about buying one) so I can't help you there. I have an Olds Aurora with traction control, and a Ford Explorer with Auto 4x4 (kinda like AWD). The Olds has an indicator light when TC kicks in, but the Explorer doesn't... so it could go either way on the Pac. I'm sure another owner can chime in and let you know. You could also call a dealership and they should know, or check your owner's manual and there should be some reference to how the system works.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 AM

I also have a 04 PAC AWD...recently had a foot or more of snow here in Vancouver.....NO problems at all.. The key is to have the right tires on the car.. The stock Michelins are great on the hi wayin dry conditions ...not good in the snow Have installed Nokian WR this winter..no stopping it now..The FWD PAC has optional traction control that you can monitor on the dash...the light comes on when the TC engages