Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Check engine light is on car shutters

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 04:38 PM
Default Check engine light is on car shutters

, I have a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica a couple hours ago my car start riding rough and then my check engine light came on blinking now it’s not blinking only when I drive and hit a certain mileage 55mph it’s not blinking anymore but still shuttering when I drive help please

Old 03-28-2019, 04:48 PM

Howdy, I'll reply here rather than on my thread you posted to also...
A blinking CEL is an industry standard to tell the driver of a misfire in the motor(not all cylinders are igniting to run smoothly).
Has the check engine light been on in the past and what maint. has been done to the car in the recent past? If you don't know how to retrieve trouble codes from the cars computer, go to an autozone or O'rielleys..they can scan the car's computer for free and then give an idea PARTS WISE what it may need to repair. BUT you need to report here what the fault codes were in the P _ _ _ _ format that they display as.
Good Luck and will wait for your reply.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:16 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING!! Well I work at Stokes Toyota in the service department I make appointments lol anywho one of the techs there did a quick look for me it was free so he couldn’t go into detail he ran the diag and we found out it was a misfire I’m a girl so I don’t know the code but it’s dealing with my spark plugs and coils?? I then tried to drive home which is 20 mins away it was horrible I had no choice the check engine light kept blinking when I stopped and stayed on the whole time while shuttering I drove it to my mechanic he says it’s my spark plugs and coils as well but I should get a whole tune up with spark plugs and coils but my question is can I just get the spark plugs changed with out the tune up ? Will that stop the shuttering ?
Originally Posted by REBEL59
A blinking CEL is an industry standard to tell the driver of a misfire in the motor(not all cylinders are igniting to run smoothly).
Has the check engine light been on in the past and what maint. has been done to the car in the recent past? If you don't know how to retrieve trouble codes from the cars computer, go to an autozone or O'rielleys..they can scan the car's computer for free and then give an idea PARTS WISE what it may need to repair. BUT you need to report here what the fault codes were in the P _ _ _ _ format that they display as.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:31 PM

Also the check engine light hasn’t been on since it’s been in my possession, I bought it for temporary use st 210.000 miles it rides pretty good up until now this was so random! No signs at all? I did change my oil from synthetic to conven
Originally Posted by REBEL59

Old 03-28-2019, 08:28 PM

Sight unseen by me (or other members here), It sounds like you already have gotten pretty good advice of what your car needs to fix the problem. At the mileage you post of, there are many more maintenance items that would also be rightfully suggested by the service schedule in the owners manual of your car.

EDIT: A GOOD auto mechanic would TEST the coils to be sure that they do/do not need replacing. The spark plugs is not a big deal if no known history of being changed...100,000 miles is more than a good lifetime for them. ALSO it is a POSSIBILITY that a bad fuel injector could be causing a misfire... that also need to be investigated .
These cars computers store codes of things it "see's" that affect engine operation, that's why on a forum like here, we need to get that kind of information from folks making such requests for help such as yourself. This way we can give better assistance.

Last edited by REBEL59; 03-28-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the information.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:05 PM

Thanks for your help, guys!! This problem never seems to get old, so I may be lucky to find this thread. You know, I’ve looked through the whole www.theautocarehub.com and this forum and decided to take my car to the nearest mechanic. So, I hope my car will be OK. Maybe, the time has come to change it, IDK. Btw, it’s gonna be my first visit to a mechanic (bought it in 2013), so my car is not so bad, actually. What do you think, guys? Is it worth repairing my car, or should I buy a new one?

Last edited by RoseParr; 12-06-2022 at 03:48 PM.