Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Chime

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Default Chime

I have a 2006 Pacifica Touring FWD. While I have had no problems, I have had since I bought the car in January a mystery chime. For no reason, the chime will go off once. You can be sitting at a light, driving 70 mph, whatever, it will, out of the blue, chime. ("ding") No idiot light no nothing and you can't make it do it. It will go days without doing it sometimes weeks. Almost went a whole month and thought it was gone, then "ding". It is not related to low fuel or service milage. The dealership has re-programed the safety belt software but the chime is still there. There seems to be nothing wrong with the car (22,000 miles). My son's car, also a 2006 Pacifica which is identical other than color does not do this.

The VIN (in case the Moderator will check it) is:
2A4GM68416R842531

Thanks....

Old 03-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Default RE: Chime

Just was researching to see if anyone else had this happen to them. I have the same year Pacifica and the same thing happens. Did you get any answers in regards to this?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 AM
moe

hi Emtronics and kkelly,heres a long list from the chrysler web site on what every chime means in your year car.hope this helps you under stand.have printer ready!! sorry every body it was soooooooo long here goes.moe.
OPERATION
CHIME PRIORITY
The following list indicates the priority of the chime when more than one chime is active at the same time:
[ul][*]Seat Belt Warning[*]Door Ajar[*]Turn Signal On[*]Chime Request[*]Power Liftgate [/ul]
The cluster is responsible to set priority on all warning lamp announcement chimes.
CHIME ON CONDITIONS
SEAT BELT UNBUCKLED “BELTMINDER”
NOTE: If the vehicle is equipped with the Occupant Classification System (OCS), this will apply to the front passenger seat belt as well.
There are two different Fasten Seat Belt Reminder announcements incorporated into the cluster's logic, a Non-enhanced announcement and an Enhanced announcement.
When the Enhanced announcement is DISABLED:
[ul][*]The cluster will chime five times (not greater than six seconds) and illuminate the Seat Belt Lamp after turning the ignition to the run/start position if the driver/passenger seat belt is unbuckled. [/ul]
When the Enhanced announcement is ENABLED;
[ul][*]The cluster will chime continuously at a slow rate for a period of 6 seconds and illuminate the Seat Belt Lamp after turning the ignition to the run/start position if the driver/passenger seat belt is unbuckled. After 6 seconds the chime will stop, but the Seat Belt Lamp will stay illuminated. If the ignition is in the run position for a period greater than 60 seconds, and the driver/passenger seat belt is unbuckled, and the vehicle's speed is greater than 5 mph (8 km/h) in a forward gear, the Enhanced Fasten Seat Belt Reminder will activate. This will cause the Seat Belt Lamp to blink and a slow continuous chime to sound for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds, the chime will stop, but the lamp will remain illuminated for an additional 3 seconds. The Enhanced Seat Belt Reminder cycles for a total of 12 times (96 seconds). After the 12th time, the Seat Belt Lamp will remain on without any chime. Buckling the driver/passenger seat belt at anytime will cancel the Fasten Seat Belt Reminder announcement. [/ul]
The seat belt indicator includes a programmable enhanced seat belt reminder or “beltminder” feature that is enabled when the vehicle is shipped from the factory. This beltminder feature can be disabled and enabled by the customer using a specific programming event sequence, or by the dealer using a diagnostic scan tool.
EXTERIOR LIGHTS ON
Chime sounds if the ignition is in the lock position, the drivers door is ajar, and the headlight switch is in any position other than auto or off. The chime will continue to sound until anyone of the above conditions change or the battery protection time of 3 minutes expires.
KEY-IN IGNITION
Chime sounds if the key is in the ignition, the ignition is in the lock position, and the drivers door is ajar. The chime will continue to sound until anyone of the above conditions change.
TURN SIGNAL ON
If the BCM detects a turn signal input continuously for 1.0 mile (0.6 km) and the vehicle speed is greater than 15 mph (24 km/h), the cluster will chime continuously and display an EVIC warning message, until the turn signal is cancelled.
LOW OIL PRESSURE
Chime sounds when the engine is operating and the oil pressure drops below 4 psi/27.5 kPa.
ENGINE TEMPERATURE CRITICAL
Chime sounds when the engine is operating and the coolant temperature exceeds 252°F (122°C). The chime is continuous at 257°F (125°C) and will chime for 4 minutes and stop if the temperature drops below 243°F (117°C).
LOW WASHER FLUID
Chime sounds when the washer fluid drops below a specific level.
WARNING LAMP ANNOUNCEMENT
Chime sounds to alert the driver to scan the EVIC (in the cluster) to see which EVIC warning message displayed. The door/liftgate ajar warning message will display (without a chime) if the vehicle is running and a door or the liftgate is open. A chime will sound if the door or liftgate is still open when vehicle speed is greater than 1 mph (1.6 km/h).
WARNING LAMP ANNOUNCEMENT
LOW FUEL LAMP
The cluster will sound a single chime, illuminate an amber lamp, and display an EVIC warning message after illuminating the indicator.
VOLT LAMP
The cluster will sound a single chime after illuminating the indicator.
OIL PRESSURE LAMP
The cluster will sound a single chime after illuminating the indicator above 450 rpm vehicle operation.
FASTEN SEAT BELT LAMP
NOTE: If the vehicle is equipped with the Occupant Classification System (OCS), this will apply to the front passenger seat belt as well.
There are two different Fasten Seat Belt Reminder announcements incorporated into the cluster's logic, a Non-enhanced announcement and an Enhanced announcement.
When the Enhanced announcement is DISABLED:
[ul][*]The cluster will chime five times (not greater than six seconds) and illuminate the Seat Belt Lamp after turning the ignition to the run/start position if the driver/passenger seat belt is unbuckled. [/ul]
When the Enhanced announcement is ENABLED;
[ul][*]The cluster will chime continuously at a slow rate for a period of 6 seconds and illuminate the Seat Belt Lamp after turning the ignition to the run/start position if the driver/passenger seat belt is unbuckled. After 6 seconds the chime will stop, but the Seat Belt Lamp will stay illuminated. If the ignition is in the run position for a period greater than 60 seconds, and the driver/passenger seat belt is unbuckled, and the vehicle's speed is greater than 5 mph (8 km/h) in a forward gear, the Enhanced Fasten Seat Belt Reminder will activate. This will cause the Seat Belt Lamp to blink and a slow continuous chime to sound for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds, the chime will stop, but the lamp will remain illuminated for an additional 3 seconds. The Enhanced Seat Belt Reminder cycles for a total of 12 times (96 seconds). After the 12th time, the Seat Belt Lamp will remain on without any chime. Buckling the driver/passenger seat belt at anytime will cancel the Fasten Seat Belt Reminder announcement. [/ul]
The seat belt indicator includes a programmable enhanced seat belt reminder or “beltminder” feature that is enabled when the vehicle is shipped from the factory. This beltminder feature can be disabled and enabled by the customer using a specific programming event sequence, or by the dealer using a diagnostic scan tool.
The instrument cluster will turn on the seat belt indicator for the following reasons:
[ul][*]Seat Belt Reminder Function[/b] - Each time the cluster receives a battery current input on the fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit, the indicator will be illuminated as a seat belt reminder for about six seconds, or until the ignition switch is turned to the Off position, whichever occurs first. This reminder function will occur regardless of the status of the seat belt switch inputs to the cluster.[*]Front Seat Belt Not Buckled - Beltminder Active[/b] - Following the seat belt reminder function, each time the cluster detects an open circuit on either of the front seat belt switch sense circuits (seat belt switch open = seat belt unbuckled) with the ignition switch in the Start or On positions, the indicator will be illuminated. In addition, if the front seat belt remains unbuckled about sixty seconds after the conclusion of the seat belt reminder function with the vehicle speed greater than about 8 kilometers-per-hour (5 miles-per-hour), the seat belt indicator will begin to cycle between flashing on and off for three seconds, then lighting solid for two seconds. The seat belt indicator will continue to cycle between flashing and solid illumination for thirteen complete cycles, until the seat belt switch sense inputs to the cluster are closed circuits to ground (seat belt switch closed = seat belt buckled), or until the ignition switch is turned to the Off position, whichever occurs first.[*]Front Seat Belt Not Buckled - Beltminder Inactive[/b] - Following the seat belt reminder function, each time the cluster detects an open circuit on either of the seat belt switch sense circuits (seat belt switch open = seat belt unbuckled) with the ignition switch in the Start or On positions, the indicator will be illuminated. The seat belt indicator remains illuminated until the seat belt indicator driver inputs to the cluster are closed circuits to ground (seat belt switch closed = seat belt buckled), or until the ignition switch is turned to the Off position, whichever occurs first.[*]Actuator Test[/b] - Each time the cluster is put through the actuator test, the seat belt indicator will be turned on, then off again during the bulb check portion of the test to confirm the functionality of the LED and the cluster control circuitry. [/ul]
CHECK ENGINE LAMP
The cluster will sound a single chime after illuminating the indicator.
ENGINE TEMPERATURE LAMP
The cluster will sound a single chime when the indicator first illuminates at 252°F (122°C).
TRACTION CONTROL LAMP
The cluster will sound a chime, illuminate a red priority indicator lamp, and display an EVIC warning message after illuminating the indicator if the traction control system:
[ul][*]is active.[*]is suspended.[*]needs service.[*]is disabled by the driver. [/ul]
TURN SIGNAL ON
If the BCM detects a turn signal input continuously for 1.0 mile (0.6 km) and the vehicle speed is greater than 15 mph (24 km/h), the cluster will chime continuously, illuminate an amber message indicator lamp, and display an EVIC warning message, until the turn signal is cancelled.
OTHER CHIME ON CONDITIONS
BULB CHECK
The chime will sound one time during bulb check.
BRAKE LAMP
The cluster will sound a chime, illuminate a red brake lamp, and display an EVIC warning message if the:
[ul][*]Park brake is engaged and the vehicle speed exceeds 1 mph (1.61 km/h).[*]Brake fluid is low. [/ul]
MEMORY
The cluster will sound a chime and display an EVIC message when:
[ul][*]Memory position #1 is set.[*]Memory position #2 is set.[*]The vehicle is out of park and a memory recall is selected.[*]A memory recall is activated while the seat is in motion during another memory recall. [/ul]
SERVICE
The cluster will sound a chime, illuminate an amber message indicator lamp, and display an EVIC message when the vehicle reaches the time to perform service.
REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY
The cluster will sound a chime and display an EVIC message upon activation of:
[ul][*]The key fob with a low battery.[*]An invalid key fob and key. [/ul]
SERVICE IMMOBILIZER
The cluster will sound a chime and display an EVIC message when there is a problem with the SKREEM Module.
POWER LIFTGATE
The cluster will sound a chime and display an EVIC message when there is a power liftgate actuation with the:
[ul][*]Overhead console or RKE and the doors are locked.[*]Overhead console and the vehicle is not in park.[*]Overhead console or RKE and the temperature is too cold for actuation.[*]Overhead console or RKE and the temperature is too hot for actuation. [/ul]
TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SYSTEM
The tire pressure monitoring system will request:
[ul][*]A chime, illuminate an amber TPM lamp, and display an EVIC message when the system senses that there is a low tire pressure problem.[*]Three fast chimes, illuminate an amber TPM lamp, and display an EVIC message when the system senses that one of the four original tires on the vehicle has been changed.[*]A chime, illuminate an amber TPM lamp, and display an EVIC message if the system does not sense any tire pressure.[*]A chime, illuminate an amber TPM lamp, and display an EVIC message when the tire system needs service. [/ul]
PARK ASSIST SYSTEM
The Park Assist System display activates an audible tone that changes from intermittent to continuous as the final two Light Emitting Diodes (LED's) are illuminated on one side or both sides of the display.
The system detection length from the rear of the vehicle is 0.3 meters to 1.5 meters. This area extends around the rear side of the vehicle. The system detection height from the ground is 0.2 meters to about 1.5 meters. The radio mutes when the system activates its audible tone.
When the driver selects Reverse, the system scans for objects behind the vehicle using four sensors located in the rear bumper. A warning display above the rear window provides both visible and audible warnings indicating the range of the object.
The system is active only when the transmission gear selector is in reverse for vehicle speeds less than 16 Km/h (10 mph). If the vehicle's Parking/Emergency Brake is applied, the system is deactivated.
The display contains two sets of yellow and red Light Emitting Diode's (LED's) that the driver can see as they look over their shoulder while backing up. Each side of the vehicle has its own warning LED's. The system provides a visual warning by illuminating one or more yellow LED's as the vehicle gets closer to the object. As the vehicle continues to approach the object, one red LED is illuminated and the system emits a series of short beeps. The tone will remain constant and both red LED's are illuminated once the vehicle is within 12 inches (30.5 cm) of the object.
The system can be turned ON or OFF through the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) when the vehicle is in PARK. If the park assist system is turned OFF, a single chime will sound and the EVIC will display the following message “REAR PARK ASSIST OFF”, when the vehicle is in reverse.
[ul][*]Ensure that the rear bumper is free of dirt and debris to keep the system operating properly.[*]Jackhammers, large trucks, and other vibrations could affect the performance of the system.[*]Ensure that the parking brake is not applied. [/ul]
If “Service Park Assist System” appears in the EVIC after making sure the rear bumper is clean, proceed to diagnose the system using a scan tool and the appropriate diagnostic information.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Thank you for all that info, still, I have a single chime, at least once a month with no idiot light. It seems to have no effect on the performance of the car so I just chalk it up to being one of those things that every car has. Besides, the dealer, when I complain of this, looks at me like my dog does when I scold it for crapping on the floor. Ya know, a blank look and the head turns in a stare? Maybe it is the oil pressure dropping off and making it chime?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:19 PM
JT1

Apparently this issue does exist in other Pacifica owners. I recently bought one and have noticed an identical issue. I have a 2006 touring AWD. I've also noticed the spedo dipping when it happens. Could it have something to do with the Nav? I quick Google search shows this issue exists elsewhere.

Anybody have suggestions?

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/chr...72GCDSGG5VFIP9

Old 04-10-2010, 01:06 PM

Found the chime problem in my car. Actually my son noticed it. When the car chimes, the speedometer drops to almost zero and then back up to the given speed. It happens so fast, unless you happen to be staring at it when it happens, you don't see it. The dealer is surprised this doesn't set off the gauges warning light and submit a code but it doesn't.

So, when I saw it happen, I looked at my speed, it said 45 then the needle droped to almost zero and came right back to 45 and "chime"! Can't wait to see what is going out and how much that'll cost but it has happened since I bought the car and I have complained to the dealer on 3 occasions even though they found nothing, they did hear the chime once while test driving. Suppose that now it's out of warranty, I'm screwed as usual.

Thank God for lipstick.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Default Chime in 2005 Pacifica

Originally Posted by Emtronics
Found the chime problem in my car. Actually my son noticed it. When the car chimes, the speedometer drops to almost zero and then back up to the given speed. It happens so fast, unless you happen to be staring at it when it happens, you don't see it. The dealer is surprised this doesn't set off the gauges warning light and submit a code but it doesn't.

So, when I saw it happen, I looked at my speed, it said 45 then the needle droped to almost zero and came right back to 45 and "chime"! Can't wait to see what is going out and how much that'll cost but it has happened since I bought the car and I have complained to the dealer on 3 occasions even though they found nothing, they did hear the chime once while test driving. Suppose that now it's out of warranty, I'm screwed as usual.

Thank God for lipstick.
Hi Emtronics,

I had this identical problem. Do you get zapped upon exiting your car at time? I know mine still does this too.

Nonetheless, I had a chime going off and took it to dealership several times before problem was located. They replaced door nodes, computer and a few other parts. I continuously told them it only happened when I turned on the rear wiper. The speedometer would drop and lights would dim too. As soon as the wiper turned off, the problem would go away.

They repaired a loose ground wire connection located behind plastic strip between front and rear door of drivers side.

If your car is equiped with the compass menu (lower left of dash) press the step button just to the right of instrument panel and see if any warnings are displayed like, SERVICE. If it is chnaces are you might be lucky and just need to reset the service milage going thru the menu.

Hope this helps

Old 04-15-2010, 05:46 PM

will I think that your problems might be one of those three

1- a lose sensor connection or bad wight sensor at Driver side seat
2- a lose sensor connection or bad wight sensor at passenger side seat
3- speed sensor connection lose or bad sensor

if not one of the above check codes if you still have codes for communication lost between ECU and a sensor then it might be a problem of slow motion circuit which is usually related to a bad battery, bad grounding, or using a maintenance required battery that the electrolyte in it is so light cause you have refiled it with distiled water so many times if it is the issue of the battery then you will have more than one code for communication lost with a sensor not just one

hopefully that will help you

Old 04-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Default Chime with Speedometer Drop

We've had the same issue with our '06 Pacifica since new. Just driving along and "ding" and you'll see the speedometer drop to almost zero. Then everything is back to normal.

The dealer had no idea what it was and said that they can't fix it if they can't recreate the issue. The problem is that this is a totally random issue and it can go a month or just a few hours between occurrences.

If anyone has fixed this problem can you list the steps that you took for the fix?

Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Default I have random single chime as well

I want to add that I am having same problem with a random chime out of nowhere while driving (2006 Pac 3.5L). It is not related to rain and mostly seen while driving faster than 35 mph. On few occasions I was happened to be looking at the instrument cluster and I noticed that speedometer diving and check engine light coming on for a second at the same time as the chime. I have not noticed other lights flickering much at the time of chime or speedo dive.

I had to replace the battery few months ago for an unrelated reason, but random single chime is still coming on. I will scan for codes to see if check engine light left any codes. My vehicle is also using oil @ 1 Q per 1000 miles, which make me wonder if light is due to low oil pressure.

Owing this car is non-stop fun. Due to this car, I have learned more about the components and inner working of an automobile in past two years than I had in 10 years before that (I had a camry) .