Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Converting a Pacifica to FlexFuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Talking Converting a Pacifica to FlexFuel

I'm posting this because I haven't been able to find my question posted anywhere else.

Has anyone converted a Pacifica to FlexFuel using one of the available kits?

Most of what I've found on the internet regarding the pros and cons date from between 2006 and 2009, which doesn't tell me much about today's conversion technology. And all of that seems to be split 50/50. Those for it say that it's the best thing since sliced bread with a side of where have you been all my life. Those against it say it will dissolve your gas tank, set fire to your house, kidnap your children, and tear asunder the very fabric of society.

I'm looking for some straightforward experiences, advice, and technically sound opinions. Thank you very much for your time.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

I am a level 4 master driveablity Chrysler tech.
The flex fuel stuff will do u no good what so ever it was a ploy to make the feds happy with making a quota for certain EPA guidelines.

When i was in class a few years ago doing a update the instructor pointed out a few things to look for in the flex fuel. Let me know if this gets over any ones heads I will make it as clear as I can for ya. The Chrysler cars have the ability in the computer to add and or take away up to 30% of fuel to get the air fuel mix back to 14.7-1 Stoichiometric. With that said We were looking at a flex fuel car on the scanner looking at the fuel adaptive on a normal gas car and they were +2-4 % Then we went over to a flex fuel same make and model same engine size it was + 30% which is the max amount the computer will allow. The flex fuel system is fuel injectors and computer software that's all. The fuel injectors are bigger to allow more gas to be injected into the system because it takes roughly 30 to 40 % more flex fuel to get the same HP and BTU out of the engine.

So here is were u can do your own math with the people that has flex fuel cars. Gonna make it simple math if you have 20 gal tank and u get 500 miles or 25MPG and a gal of unleaded say its 3.80 cost of 76$
Using flex fuel u would have 20 gal tank 350 miles or 17.5 MPG 2.80$ gal total 56$ for a tank full and this was using the low side of 30%. cost of flex fuel is usually less almost .50 to 1$ less then normal fuel.

Working on the math formula will post back later

Basically all in all flex fuel is not wort the time or energy to use it

Doing the math u would end up after

Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Default Clarification

I suppose that I should clarify. While I appreciate your reply, I'm not looking for opinions about e85 vs. standard gasoline. At all. Not even a little bit.

I understand that mileage is reduced. I understand that there may be slightly greater wear and tear on the engine. I've already weighed the pros and cons from that angle.

What I am looking for help and advice about is the actual installation and experience of someone who has performed a conversion. Is there any danger of serious corrosion? Does the engine act differently? Are there any brands to avoid, or brands that you recommend? How easy and solid was the install of the conversion kit? Things like this. Thanks again.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 PM

Lol

Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

he did not like my answer

Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 PM

I liked it.

I could (and still cannot) understand the logic in using food stock to propel our vehicles. Although the tailpipe emissions may be lower, consider all of the emissions created in the whole process including planting, harvesting, converting, transporting, etc.. I am not convinced that there are any net improvements or benefits to society when all things are considered.

As for the claims of improved fuel economy - can someone explain how a lower btu content fuel - which you need more of to accomplish the same task - results in better fuel economy?

Am I against reduced pollution? Not at all, but I do think that we've already hit the tipping point in cost vs. benefit. Anyone under 40 probably doesn't have any idea of what it used to be like. When we've already cleaned up over 98% of the nasties as compared to 1970, just how much further can we go?

If we'd accept lower horsepower (do we really need 350HP cars or diesel pickups with even more) we'd see an instant reduction is pollutants and an increase in mileage (overall - maybe not in every circumstance). If you look at roughly the last 20 years (last couple excepted as technology has taken a huge leap forward), every increase in efficiency was eaten up by increased weight of the vehicle.
do we really need 10 airbags, power everything, 20 speaker sound systems, etc. for a car that is a grocery getter?

OK... I'll climb off my soapbox....

Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 AM

With the Pentastar 3.6 L engine, I have a flex fuel engine. If there is a time that you have no choice of fuel, it is helpful to have this capability.

I am not sure if I can site a relevant example. I run 91 octane only in my motorcycle and while low on fuel, had trouble finding a station with 90+ octane available.

Unfortunately, I am not mechanically inclined to be able to help you with the conversion.