Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Flickering lights on our Pacifica

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Nice!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Question Flashing off and off - lo beams only

Anyone with a fix for this situation?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 AM

RANZY
You should have been a genius!!
your post led me to the fix for my 2006.
(are you sure that i didn't write that original post , my wife says i must have.)
in my case the problem was not the wire. but after checking it i reexamined the pos clamp on the battery. my dealer had "cleaned the posts" and "fixed the problem" as well but it showed up again after a month or two. at that time i removed and cleaned with a rotaty brush, both the bat terminals and clamp interiors ( the pos term was not real tight) then reinstalled and tightened the clamps.
one month later (wife-"i'll believe it after a month or two") problem came back worse than before. when following your lead I noticed that the pos terminal was again loose!!!!? ( I KNOW it was tight when i left it). so finding nothing suspisious at the wires i replaced the tin clamp with a good lead one. as my wife says "we'll see"

Thanks again for the heads up on post .
don Graaff
alarmmasters.com
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all who wander are lost.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 AM

One change I would make in regards to this install has to do with the ground wire. The ground is not the issue here and since it runs to the engine block it should be fine. I would not make the ground connection using the bolt on the top of the strut housing. That bolt holds the strut to the top of hte car. As you can see you do not have adequate hold when you loop the grounds in that fashion. Its not needed and I wouldn't take a change on damaging something with a suspension component. If you still want to ground then drill a new hole and and put a sheet metal screw with a fender washer to hold the ground in place.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:35 AM
Default Excellent Write-up

Thank you for this amazingly well-done post. Knock on wood that my just-acquired 2008 Pacifica will never have this problem, but I'm ready if it does.

BTW, that's the cleanest battery terminal I've ever seen!

Old 07-09-2011, 02:07 PM

does anyone know why my battery is getting extremely hot

Old 07-10-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by agullatta
does anyone know why my battery is getting extremely hot
Internal malfunction. Possibly some corrosion on or IN the cables. If not, get that thing out of there and get a new one ASAP. Let it cool before you mess with it. AND when you do, try very hard not to twist the terminals (the round part) ON the battery.

Quick story. I had a Grand Caravan around the end of Winter. They had an intermittent light flicker. It would not happen until about 10-20 minutes after cold startup. After a day or so of tinkering and testing stuff, I was under the hood and layed my forearm on the negative terminal...It BURNED me! Not just hot like engine heat soak but like a piece of BACON.. I felt all the way down the ground cable and it was the same. Even the battery case was smokin hot. You could even see some warpage across the top of it. Needless to say the battery fixed the problem...lol

High resistance was the case here. Battery charged perfect and tested perfect. However...the regulator was charging it at almost 15 Volts all the time.

Last edited by TNtech; 07-10-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:04 AM

I don't know if anyone else noticed this or not but my Pacifica only has the flickering, popping, radio thing when it's been very damp or rainy weather. Have not yet tried the fix as I'm not mechanically inclined at all. I'm afraid that I'll get something torn apart and won't be able to get it back together.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Default Same problem and the fix worked

I've been having flickering headlights, dinging, and dash lights coming on for months now and getting progressively worse until last week when I took it to the dealer. They had the car for a week searching for the problem. They replaced one wiring harness that they said was melted to the engine, replaced the alternator, and said that they had the problem fixed now. I took it home and one day later we had the same problem. I just added the positive wire like Ranzy recommended and all the issues seem to be gone now. Awesome fix and thanks. I'll report back if the fix holds up.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:16 AM

This worked like a charm for me. I bought an 06 pacifica a month or so ago, and after a couple of days this started happening. I was ready to take the car back, but I loved everything else about it.

Thanks so much for posting this fix!!!

Quick Reply: Flickering lights on our Pacifica