Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Flickering lights on our Pacifica

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 07:38 AM

just tried ranzy idea so far so good now gotta keep fingers crossed lol

Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Default 06 Pacifica flickering lights

Originally Posted by ranzy
I am happy to report that my car is still free of the flickering problem.

Ranzy
Great info Ranzy. My 06 Pacifica was doing the same exact thing so I did as you instructed and it's been 3 days with no problem. Even got the same cable as you from Walmart. Saved me a lot of heartache trying to find it, especially with a torn tendon in my shoulder. Thank you...

Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 AM

Ranzy,
Wonderful fix for a problem that's obviously been plaguing numerous owners for a long time. In my case it also solved the "alternator whine" in ham & CB radios I had installed, because the high resistance in the stock power lead you found that was bad was keeping the battery from functioning as a filter of the alternator pulse noise.
One suggestion I'd make -- and it's minor -- is to color-code both ends of the "new" positive lead going from the battery to the fuse block with either a spray of red paint, or a couple of passes of red electrical tape. This will help some other mechanic down the road (or a dealership, etc.) from being confused when he sees what *should* be a ground lead running to the hot side of the battery and/or fuse block.
Same as when, in house wiring, you run a piece of Romex past a switch to run a light circuit: since both sides are hot, you're supposed to wrap a piece of black tape around the insulation near the ends of the white (usually neutral) conductor at the light fixture and the switch, so people realize it's actually hot.
A quick spritz of red paint may last longer than tape, especially if it's frequently wet from splashing under the hood.
Great troubleshooting, although Chrysler dealers everywhere are going to have to stop using unneeded alternators and harnesses as profit centers
Thanks again,
-- Zygoma --

Old 05-21-2012, 02:14 PM

Ranzy or anyone else with electrical problems, could this fix be used for other electrical problems? I have a 2006 Pacifica. I've had a constant p0133 & po456 code. Replaced the fuel pump, replaced 02 sensor front bank at least 6 times, new cat in Sept. along with a new PCM. Had new plenum gasket put on last week, throttle body cleaned last month for a p0300 code, that's gone. Today I had my mechanic look at the car again as the check engine light went on with the 133 & the 456 on the way over the AC went out. Mechanic ran codes found multiple codes didn't tell me which ones, he checked the plenum gasket & the 02 sensor they're OK he feels its electrical, so again has anyone tried this fix for other electrical problems?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

did he use the cheap *** BOSH o2 sensors?
as for the 452 have him get a pair of glasses and look for the cracked hoses that is causing the evap leak.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 PM

No, I've had 6 MOPAR front 02 sensors at the Chrysler dealership starting in June of 2010. At that time I had the 456 code & the first Chrysler dealership I used never checked the fuel pump nor did they do a smoke test. I never had a cat code then.The last 02 sensor was put in in Sept along with the MOPAR catalytic Converter. I saw the cat before it went in & I saw the cat after it was put in. (I was floored when the Chrysler mechanic brought me back to the work area to show me where there was a leak before he replaced it.) The fuel pump was replaced, once again MOPAR, in Aug. Still had the code after all the parts were replaced. The PCM was also replaced in Sept. because even the Chrysler mechanic didn't know if it was a computer issue. All the wiring was checked at 2 places right before the PCM was replaced. Both Clint's All Pro in Kennesaw, Ga, & Don Barrett Dodge in Douglas county, Ga. diagnosed it & Barrett put it in. Within a day I had the 456, 133, & the 300 codes back. Once again,I never had a cat code but because that's what I was told I needed,I had a muffler shop put in an after market cat & it was to small & caused a problem that's why Barrett Dodge showed me the work & replaced it with the MOPAR cat. Had the 300 code taken care of by cleaning the throttle body at my private mechanic, no problem since. He put a new plenum gasket in after the smoke test finally showed the leak. Private mechanic did the work. Now The only thing is, after the private mechanic found the leak when he dropped the gas tank resulting in the fuel tank replacement, I always wonder if he did another smoke test after that because I still had the 456 code before & after the new fuel pump, (he did get it from Chrysler.) I'm thinking I had both the leak at the fuel pump & the plenum gasket at the same time & that's why the code kept coming back. But now that the gasket was replaced he's stumped. I've looked on Pacifica World forum & here's what this post says; Re: thanks everyone. evap help?

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:30:23I just read on the chrysler fourm A guy doing a smoke test for this symptom found that in the pass side gas tank "the jet pump" has a hose with a 90 deg angle that is known to dealer techs to come loose or brake and cause a evap leak. dropping of the gas tank and replacing this hose with other than from the dealer solved his problem for good of an evap leak. google 06 pacifica gas cap on chrysler fourm.

So I'm here trying to find that post. I emailed Ranzys wiring fix to him & I'm going to send him this info to. I'm going to ask him about that jet pump & that 90 degree hose. Everything fixed needed fixing I just think this needs to be checked.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM

It's not a hose, it's the plastic nipple on the top of the right side pump. It cracks and sets a small leak code first, then progresses from there to larger leak.

If you do any wiring mods to bypass the IPM make sure you use circuit protection of some kind...inline fuse.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Post NO MORE Flickering Instrument Cluster!!!

This is a great little fix! I spent $6 for the cable and 15 minutes for the install. I was told that my dash was going to need to be rebuilt ~$200, half a day in the shop. Out of desperation, I google the problem and found this solution. And how glad I am, I found it.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:04 AM
Default Ranzy pics??

is there anyway someone can give the pics that Ranzy put up to solve the flickering lights issue?this problem he had sounds like the issue i have ,headlights,map lights,clock flickering.Plus sometimes the abs and brake lights on briefly!thanks

Old 09-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Default Ranzy pics??NEVERMIND!!

I found the pics that he posted.thanks!

Quick Reply: Flickering lights on our Pacifica