Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

fuel gauge just tanked and said empty!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 08:36 PM

Well my 05 Pac i just bought has the fuel gauge issue where it functions normal from full to half, then drops to E and the light comes on, and when filling I need to leave the engine idling, pump a gallon or two, wait 30-60 seconds, pump another gallon or two, and repeat. My car shows that it went back in to the dealer for the ecu reflash (supposed to fix the fuel gauge issue) Also I keep getting a check engine light, which my code scanner says is for fuel evap canister) So I read a rumor on here that it was an issue with the tank vent/evap canister filter just gets plugged up and causes these issues. So I yanked it off, and smacked it on the concrete garage floor, and I kid you not, a pile of dirt fell out that was 2" diameter and 3/4" tall! I then blew it out with my air compressor just for good measure. Just got finished putting it back together. I should know in 4-5 days if it fixed it. Just for the benefit of the group, here's a pic of the filter, it attaches to the hose from the tank that is about 1/2" or 5/8" around. The hose routes to the evap canister (big plastic box looking thing that is directly below door jamb between left front and left rear) and then continues forward another few inches, thru sensor, then filter is directly forward of the sensor. And looks like this:
Name:  79217706-0A00-4041-AE10-D9CB88ABBE49.jpg
Views: 13224
Size:  130.9 KB

Old 07-26-2016, 08:53 AM

Daveyg did this solve this issue for you. I have the exact same problem and all the shops around me say that the chysler fix sheet says to replace the whole fuel tank and everything in it. sounds crazy to me.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by codycjb1
Daveyg did this solve this issue for you. I have the exact same problem and all the shops around me say that the chysler fix sheet says to replace the whole fuel tank and everything in it. sounds crazy to me.
Nope, doesn't seem to have helped at all. I've just been keeping it above 1/2 tank at all times since. The fix I've found from researching is new sending units and fuel pumps (in both tanks) but haven't had the cash to dump in the stupid car. So instead I just top off the tank every 3-5 days.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:59 AM

Thanks Daveyg for the quick response. Iv been doing the same thing for a little over a year now. But the biggest problem I hVe with it is that it also very hard to put fuel into the car. I either have to go to a gas station that I know the pumps will allow me to pump the gas slowly or I have to pump 1 gallon in and wait a minute then it will let me put another in. Very time consuming and annoying. Will only hold like 10 to 11 gallons at a time this way. Which I'm pretty sure it only taking Fuel into the one side of the tank. So I'm about to spend the money to fix it. Just hope it works. Because Iv seen people post that they replaced both units and still had the issues.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:06 PM

Yes I know it's a huge pain in the *** to fill it up. I've been doing that for 6 months since I bought the stupid pile of **** car, including two multi-state road trips. If you leave the car running at idle while pumping it helps a little bit. Let me know here if you happen to change anything that actually solves the problem. I've been half tempted to drill holes and install drastically large ****** bungs and hoses on each tank to allow fuel and air to cross over. Would only need one 1" crossover at the top and a couple 1.25" crossovers at the bottom to allow the two tanks to act as one the way it should have been designed from the factory.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:12 PM

Lol yeah I had the same exact thought. I just can't wrap my head around why it won't take gas. I understand that it's not siphoning over to the other side. But why is it so had to fill the one side. It just seems like an air outlet vent is plugged somewhere. But no one knows where. I'm tempted to drill a hole in the top of the tank to see if it will let me fill easier.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:54 PM

I had the same issue, I just went to the car salvage yard and picked up both pumps and a purge valve solenoid and replaced them and it fixed the problem for me. It seems that the floater were faulty or either the pumps themselves were bad. I could say that it worked for me by just replacing both pumps to fix the gauge and pumping gas issue. It seems like a pretty common issue with the pacificas...

Old 05-13-2017, 09:29 PM
Default Any solutions?

I have the 2007 Pacifica Touring. I have replaced both fuel pumps and the tank. Still not fixed either the fuel gage half tank issue or the pumping gas issue.