Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Installing Quick Strut Kit on '05 Pacifica

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Default Installing Quick Strut Kit on '05 Pacifica

Interestingly, I am not finding information through searches here or via Google on replacing struts with a Quick Strut. My daughter's car needs 'em badly, and I'm hoping I can save her some money and do it for her.

Can anyone point me to instructions, or provide info on that project?

Many thanks.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 AM

Hi,
I put one in an '05 last week (right front). Overall a fairly easy job. A caveat: I am able to utilize a lift and air tools, but I have done a similar job in my house garage.

The biggest hassle was the sway bar - strut links. I have never had much luck in loosening those (no luck this time either). So I cut it off with a grinding wheel and replaced it. The two 21? mm pinch bolts are easy enough to punch out after removing the nut - don't try to spin them out as they are "slotted/knurled" on the bolt head end to grip the steering knuckle. Reassembly was fairly easy. I used a long drift pin to help align the bolt holes in the steering knuckle.
You should get an alignment after as there is a fair amount of camber adjustment possible with the two strut/knuckle bolts.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I do have air tools, but unfortunately, no lift.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 AM

Not sure about your Pacifica, but on my Sebring, the sway bar links have a hexagonal socket in the bolt so you can insert an allen wrench in there to hold it while you turn off the nut. Use lots of PB Blaster.
Also, the splined bolts actually can be turned because the holes they go in are not splined. Again, that's on my Sebring. I believe the purpose of the splines on the bolts is to create a tight fit without making it impossible to remove.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:29 PM

Greatly appreciate the input.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Default Final update....

I installed the struts Friday. It went fine. Not really that hard of a job.

Interestingly, the hardest part was taking off the left wheel. Three of the lug nuts had seized on the wheel.

I decided that the sway bar links were a pain, so I too replaced them, like busyboy did. I was able to get the nut off at teh sway bar, so I just left them attached to the old struts.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Default Some ape with an impact wrench.

"Three of the lug nuts had seized on the wheel."

Somebody probably overtightened the lugnuts using an impact wrench. How many times have you seen some idiot in a tire store slam the lugnuts on with an impact wrench? An impact wrench should never be used to tighten anything. Use a torque wrench for tightening. Lug nuts should be tightened to about 100-105 ft.-lbs.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:22 PM

The trick for the sway bar links is quite simple. The nut must be romved using an 18mm socket. Then, use a 17mm wrench on the nut just on the opposite side of the bracket on the strut. You have to old the wrench to a certain extent but it gets the job done, and alot less cheaper than replacing them

Old 11-11-2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by cirrus98
The trick for the sway bar links is quite simple. The nut must be romved using an 18mm socket. Then, use a 17mm wrench on the nut just on the opposite side of the bracket on the strut. You have to old the wrench to a certain extent but it gets the job done, and alot less cheaper than replacing them
The problem I/we have always had -being here in NW Ohio- is corrosion. Even with a well soaked (PB Blaster) Bolt/nut and proper tools I have often been unable loosen the fastener without damaging it, if I can move it at all. As the links are notorious noise makers, and are quite often found failed/broken, I/we go ahead and change them. Especially with a strut or control arm change it seems a small additional cost when replacing and renewing other suspension parts.