Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission limp mode P1739

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Red face transmission limp mode P1739

I took my 2005 Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD to my local dealer in the UK as the transmission dropped down gear sharply twice for no reason and then seemed to go into neutral code p1739 was stored they didn’t know what it was that was causing it but thought it might lead to a possible intermitant relay fault this cost me £80 the vehicle has five Relays clipped onto the front inside of the engine compartment next to each other four are the same type and one is a different type I have identified the far right as the glow plug relay and the far most left three Relays as the hi and low fan relays but the other Relay in between I can not find any info on this Relay and it is running quite warm. Now the transmission goes momentarily into neutral and back to drive with all shift display positions lit-up then not lit-up please can anyone help with any advice.

now it has gone into semi limp mode jerky first/second gear and intermitant speedo i have checked all cables and connections all seem fine i have booked into dealers again to see if they can find fault this time and how much is it going to cost.

any help with what the fault maybe would be gratefully recieved.

Kind Regards
Peter

Old 02-15-2009, 12:02 PM

Hi
Can you check that code number?

Old 02-15-2009, 09:11 PM

our jeep used to do this (but without throwing codes) and later on we found out the transmission baked itself alive by slowly leaking oil un-noticably (without paying attention) through a joint on the coolant hardlines, then we ended up having to completely rebuild the tranny.

specifically our story was:
previous slipping, jerking from stoplights, irratic shifting, downshifting unneciserily, and a burnt oil smell, which at the time we thought it was coming from the engine because the valve cover gaskets leaked a little. one day while towing a small box trailer, these issues seemed the same and it behaved the same, however after making a turn uphill it slipped and did not return to gear then jerked hard ceasing the drivetrain for a few seconds then breaking loose again staying out of gear. then after a few revs of the engine it jerked and started doing a sort of "crow-hop" uphill, very light jerking that continued all the way up the hill. after pulling into the driveway it slipped out of gear again and did not come back in again. we tried revving the engine to get it to move but it wouldnt move, as if it was in neutral, soon we noticed a blue haze coming from underneath the jeep right around the transmission area..being clear it wasnt going anywhere any time soon we towed it back to its parking spot where it sat for about 4 months waiting for the money for a rebuild kit.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:12 AM
Default transmission limp mode P1739

Hi Guys

Thanks for the reply I had to have the vehicle taken to the local dealers as it became un-drivable after my last posting. There was a clicking under steering column/ dash every time it kicked and jerked violently.

It was two days at the dealers and they found the fault/ cause as follows there was no communication with the TCM they followed the diagnosis through to no power to the TCM with the ignition on from the FCM they checked the circuit to find a open circuit and rather than try to pull the wiring out they over laid new wiring for the circuit all seems fine with the car now in fact it seems to drive a whole lot smoother than before it went wrong but it cost me £280 + vat Labour I hope this info can help anyone else that gets this fault.

Regards
Peter