Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Is there a SOP for replacing the front stab. bar bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Default Is there a SOP for replacing the front stab. bar bushings?

Like many others in this Forum, I've lived with front end clunking and clicking in my '04 Pac. AWD for a long time. I've owned it since new, and at 118k, I just replaced the sway bar links, and about 50% of the noise is gone. I purchased two new sway bar bushings, hoping that will take care of the balance of the clunking. Is there any special trick to the replacement of these bushings? The rack and arms seem to block access to them pretty effectively.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:56 PM

I just completed mine without removing the end links, a few swears but got them done....hope you have air tools...
I jacked up the front and put stands under the large frame rails. Both tires removed and loosened the tie rod end nut on each side until it was flush with the top of the tie rod stud. Gave it 2 smacks with a hammer and it popped down. (when installing just push them up from the bottome and hold the end of the stud with a vice grips while tightening with an 18mm gear wrench)
Remove the inner fender liners (might as well get yourself some new push-in trim holders as you are bound to bust 1 or 4 lol), remove the philips screws as well.
Now the fun part....
I started with an older 1/2" torque wrench to get the 2 bolts loosened. (15mm) Passenger side is a bit tight with the heat shield. I ended up removing the bolts completely even thought the bushing clamp is notched so I could clean up the bolts and put on anti sieze for the future,
Once I got them started I sprayed them multiple times with pb blaster to eat away a little corrosion at least.
The tool that I had the best luck with was a 3/8 air wratchet with a short socket and extension.
I slid the old bushings down to the outside curve on the swaybar and popped them off.
Cleaned the bar with brake clean/air nozzle. Applied some silicone dielectric grease to the inside of the new bushings and put them on the same way. Bolts go in so much nicer with clean threads and anti sieze lol.
Thats about it. Good luck!

Old 12-18-2011, 07:26 AM

That's about what I was hoping to hear. I wasn't looking forward to pulling the steering gear to get to the clamp bolts. It's mighty tight in there, but at least I now know it can be done.

Thanks for the blow-by-blow procedure, friend. I'll tackle the job right after the holidays.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:30 PM

No problem! To make you feel better, my Pac clunked badly on low speed bumps before the bushings, nice and quiet now. Now to fix the horrible rear end creak....

Old 12-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Default Chry Shop Manual re: How-to-replace sway bar bushings

Chrysler Pacifica Stabilizer Bar Bushing Replacement <-How-to-guide

The Pac is a super quiet vehicle.
Unfortunately the SOP includes replacing these bushings to keep it so...

Old 12-25-2011, 01:29 PM

the PAC is best and always good vehicle with some modification...........

Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 PM

if you have this problem, this post will fix your issues. i had a knock for 6 months and changed the bushings, links, and tie rod ends and its like a new car.

thanks for the info guys