Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Warning to Chrysler Pacifica owners/potential buyers

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Default RE: Warning to Chrysler Pacifica owners/potential buyers

we have a 05 pacifica with the same problem. it has happened 6 times now. we have had it at two different dealerships, one told us that because there isn't a fault code in the system that they could find no problem. the other dealer told us that it was that it was a lack of maintenence on our part , that the spark plugs were bad at 33,000 miles even though the manual states that plug replacement should be at 75,000 miles under our driving conditions. ( is there a dealership in central florida that has a clue?)

Old 07-30-2006, 08:33 PM

erratic fuel readings................. this is what i have seen ...................

Cluster issues..............
PCM Corrosion on connectors...................
water leak from LEFT Windshield caused fusable links in the left B Pillar under the seat belt to break from corrosion.

as far as stalling issues................................

its a purge issue. all Pac need the flash of the controller.
so reprogram the controller and possibly even new primary and secondary fuel pumps.
oh and make sure if the tech replaces the pumps to do a RELEARN so all adaptive memories are cleared from the controller.

as far as miss fires or rough idling.........................

dealer will do spark plug, coil and possibly injector on 1st visit. then compustion camber cleaner and flash on 2nd visit.
on 3rd visit they turn the exhaust valves 90 Deg.
on 4th visit a new head is ordered and installed.

i really like the look, but would never buy one myself. to many issues. althought 07's are arriving and a new motors are available.
be interesting to see what happens. good luck with the CS's (pacifica)

Xtreme

Old 08-25-2006, 12:24 AM

I've read this is a fuel pump problem. Does the Pac have two fuel pumps in the tank? And why not buy non-Chrysler fuel pumps and install them?
Or is it a computer glitch? Or a combination?
Is the problem peculiar to the 3.5? AWD vs. FWD? Or all vehicles?
Thanks, I'm shopping Pac now and might look at a 2007 lease but I'm not interested in winning a lawsuit from a body cast.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:08 PM
moe

Heres the tsb# you guys have been looking for.it applies by your vin number.and production date.it may or may not apply to your pacifica.dealership can tell by using drb (shop computer) tell them to check for "flash update"for your pcm (power contol module).here's tsb #18-039-05.it has to do with idle undershoot while turning.let me know MOE!

Old 08-25-2006, 02:56 PM

So, Moe, this is a computer problem rather than a mechanical problem with the fuel pump(s)?

Old 10-08-2006, 11:23 PM

Why did this string die? should go on ...

i want to add this:
be sure we are talking about first owner vehicles - previously owned could have been wrecked, and poorly repaired -
lease vehicles are a whole new problem, get rode very hard, sometimes modified for racing -

Now to first owned vehicles: mine is a 2005, had 7k miles on it, but has some electrical problems. Forums like this are great for getting the message back to the manufacturer, big daddy Dr. Z is watching. If many complaints drive new customers away, you will get their attention fast. Be precise in your complaints, in all fairness, even pre-owned vehicles are a litmus test for how good a vehicle is built.

I feel that all three have similar problems, perhaps from discruntled employees that don't care anymore, or bad suppliers due to going cheap, overseas and cost cutting. I have a big problem with Chrysler repair shops, they seem to know less than other qualified shops. The noise in the steering is in all vehicles, mostly the boots on the CV joints, or the joints themselves, common in front wheel drive vehicles, especially heavy ones, and on bad roads - i'm in Michigan. Electrical is most likely cheap components, bad connections and poor assemblies, again common to all vehicles, except for maybe some Japanese, but they too will go cheap one day. It's all about cost cutting, which might be ok, but the service needs to be there when it goes wrong, or face the music with warranty issues. When people like Krikorian care about nothing but their profit, we get this. It has to come from the top down. CEO's take a big chunk, the board and stockholders get theirs, and what's left gets reverted back to the design and production, usually not much. So we are stuck with trying to find the best of the crop from average vehicles. I would look at the general track record for problems, what percentage, and the quality of service. This forum needs to grow, there is power in numbers, keep up the good work.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:58 PM

one more thing, on this subject, look at the amount of hits this thread got, and a couple of others - people are looking to see what bad things are said, but very few are posting. this may scare off some, but i feel that for the most, owners are content, and hear some ranting and raving. it's unfortunate that some problems occur, but you should know what kind of vehicle you want, or how much you want to spend. Let's hear more from the rest of you, good or bad? my good much overwhelmes the bad, love my pac.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:39 PM

pacmania,

I purchased an 06 AWD inferno red touring last Friday with all of the whistles and bells. I'm up to a whopping 786 miles. No problems to report. My mileage for mostly highway driving is hovering at 20.4. It could use 40-50 more H.P. but I knew this as I have driven these before. I live @ 6500' elevation so I figure I'm down about 40HP from sea level ratings. We really enjoy this vehicle.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:32 PM

Hi There I have 2005 Pacifica 33k on it and I have been looking around all over the place for this issue of stalling at low speed on a left hand turn only.
I have already paid in excess of 500 in getting the throttle bodies cleaned etc. I think I got cleaned but what an odd issue. is that tsb tsb #18-039-05 still valid for a fix? its no fun coming off a ramp at 100kmh down to 40kmh and stall in oncoming traffic with 2 kids in the back. Sweet that it has a five star rating but I dont want to test it. One thing that did help was switiching from Petro Canada gas to Esso mid grade 89. Any other Canadian owner's have this problem?

Old 11-03-2006, 08:08 PM

What's the frequency that this happens? I test drove a 2004 Pac. a few weeks ago when I decided I wanted to trade in my 1998 Avenger ES. The Pac. had only 55k miles, the test drive was lentghy, but I couldn't find a problem, even with the numerous turns.

MRNORMAL, The 3.5L stalling has not been mentioned on dodgeintrepid.net for 3.5L owners. My other car is a 2004 Intrepid 3.5L H.O. and there hasen't been one problem.

Quick Reply: Warning to Chrysler Pacifica owners/potential buyers