Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Default Warranty

Well, here I go again. Hope you will all bear with me. The dealership made a big deal out of the "Lifetime" warranty. I tried to explain to them that for one 30 years old it meant a lot more than a 70 year old.

Well, when we did the title I titled in joint ownership with my wife. I was told that therefore the warranty was good until the death of both of us.

The actual warranty reads "You are not covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Waranty if you are the second or subsequent owner of the vehicle.

I understand the subsequent owner thing, but what of the second owner?

I thought originally of putting ownership in the name of our family trust. Since trust's do not die would the warrantee not continue until the Pac rusted into a pile? Another thought, what about corporate ownership of the vehicle. Chrysler must have thought of that. As long as the same company owned the vehicle is it covered?

Bottom line. If you want the best warranty buy Hyundia.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Warranty

first owner only no wife no kids no one but the first name on the lease or the title.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:23 PM

I have question Chrysler customer service about this and have yet to get a streight answer, or in fact any anser at all. It's as if they either don't have an answer or don't want to give one. I see litigation in the future for Chrysler on this so called "Lifetime Warranty".

Old 11-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

take it for what it is there should be no question one owner only one no other if u give it away its voild plane as day.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:36 PM

Actually not so plain as day. If a property is titled or deeded joint tenancy such as Joe OR Mary, (Not Joe AND Mary) then there is in fact two FIRST owners for each party owns all of the property. IE: at the death of the first the "joint tenant" owns it all with no transfer of ownership required. I wonder how Chrysler will deal with that? I can get no answers from Chrysler. I shall try again and phone customer service direct on Monday.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:15 AM

An interesting question and one I suspect will be answered on a state by state basis since the titling and sale are governed by the local laws. Too bad I'm legally challenged, a good lawyer could make a killing off of this question.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:42 AM
moe

we all knew there would be a catch.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:29 PM

Finally got an answer from Chrysler customer service. They have our ownership as my name or my wifes name (which is joint tenancy, ie: each own it all) and then they go on to say at my death the warrantee does not extend to my wife. I simply replied that if this ever becomes an issue to expect a law suit.

Also talked with the person that handles warrantee work at the dealership. I was told that one should never remove the name of the deceased from the title. On previous powertrain warrantees with Chrysler they have never had a problem if the primary name was left on the title.

I still think Chrysler has opened a can of worms the way they are structuring the so called "Lifetime Warrantee".

Old 11-19-2007, 05:46 PM

An update.

The last communication I have from Chrysler says this:

After further review, the warranty will transfer to your wife. Our database hs been updated with the owner information contained in your E-mail.

Well, upon further review. Must have been an NFL reversal.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:02 AM
moe

good for you and your wife!