Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

2001 PT Cruiser Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 08:53 PM
Default 2001 PT Cruiser Problem

I own a 2001 Limited Edition PT Cruiser. It has a 2.4L engine and 4-speed automatic transmission. I purchased the car used and have had it for almost 2 years now. Recently I started experiencing problems with the vehicle, and last weekend the car died...wouldnt go into gear, had to stop the car and restart to get it into gear enough to drive about 2 miles to do the same thing. I was told that it was most likely a clogged transmission filter.

Got it into the shop to find out that there are metal shavings getting into the transmission, and now my transmission needs to be replaced. This should not be happening to my car, it isn't that old, and I have taken very good care of it. The cost to fix all of this is currently estimated at about $2600, thats just the transmission...it will cost more to fix the problem that is causing this to happen, which currently is a mystery.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem with their pt cruiser. If so has anyone reported it to Chrysler, because upon speaking with them, they said they do not have enough reports of this problem to warrant a recall or whatever the next step would be.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Default RE: 2001 PT Cruiser Problem

Ihad a similar problem with my 02 pt only it wasnt that serious it just needed a tune up and thenit ran fine for about a week . It did it again so i called the dealership where i got it and took it in and they couldnt find any problems,so i called chrysler and 5 weeks later they gave me a reply with no recalls on the problem i sold it a weeki later and bought another 02 but an automatic.2weeks later the person that bought it said it doesnt run and needed 4500 dollars in serious repair. If you can trade it in or sell it a.s.a.p. i doubt its worth fixing.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 AM
ace

Well i dont wanna step up and defend dcx here but i work at a dealer and i have not seen any of these problems on the pt. If we do start to see these in our shop i will post it here as to what the problem is and what we did to fix it. If you have any questions just ask i am not biased

Old 03-06-2007, 03:25 PM

The torque converter got clogged and the metal clutches and fins started to grind causing the shavings. This is common with the torque converters for these trans.