Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

Clutch Stuck after long storage

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 01:19 PM
Question Clutch Stuck after long storage

I'm hoping someone here is still reading. I've had my PT since it was first available (23 years) Unfortunately its been stored for the past year and now I'm trying to make it ready for my grand daughter to drive. But the manual clutch appears to be stuck. I've read elsewhere that a clutch plate can rust to the flywheel if left long enough. But I'm trying to figure out a way to release it without having to remove the transmission and clutch.
It will start in gear and actually drive but the clutch never releases.
If anyone has any ideas please share them here? I can't be the only one who is experiencing this issue.
Thanks in advance.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:49 PM

unless you stored it in a salt water tank, a clutch rusting together after sitting only a year is pretty impressive, and dare I say damn near impossible.
have you checked the clutch master cylinder for fluid?
I'd also remove the slave from the transmission and have someone SLOWLY and CAREFULLY press on the clutch, to see if the slave moves.