Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chrysler voyager CLUTCH problem - PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Default chrysler voyager CLUTCH problem - PLEASE HELP!

hi, i am hoping someone can help me as i am having a nightmare clutch problem.... here goes:

Car - chrysler voyager 2002 2.5 crd manual 122000 miles, UK car.

so, i had the dreaded crank seal leek, so i had it done and i had the garage change the clutch while they were at it is it had not had it changed from new!

since i have had the car back i get reall bad clutch judder in all gear changes front and back, especially changing down from 3rd to second with out applying revs.

this however is not my main concern!

when i change up through the gears (all changes) if i change when the revs are over 2500 (roughly) the car seems to rev more the clutch pedal kind of feels like it goes a little loose and the when i change the gears either crunch or won't go in.

i the problem remains until i dip the clutch a second time and the gear goes in. i told the garage and they said there was not a problem, they say they checked the fly wheel when the did the clutch visually and it looked fine, also, they did not touch the slave cylindar so does not need bleeding.

could this be a faulty clutch? any comments or input would be gratefully received!

thanks.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:02 PM

It sounds like the clutch has been fitted incorrectly.....maybe the clutch plate has been put on the wrong way round.

A friend of mine had the clutch in his golf changed and suffered similar symptoms to you. He took it back to the garage and they dropped the transmission to examine the clutch. only to find they fitted the clutch the wrong way round. They turned the clutch around and that cured it.

I'd get another mechanic to give you an opinion then take it back to the garage who did the job and get them to fix it.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Whilst bookes suggestion is highly plausible and very probable and certainly should be investigated, I personally would also put my money on the engine mounts having been damaged. Getting the rear engine/transmission mount off is a real pain and if whomever did the job, jacked up the front of the engine high enough to release the mount from the double ended bolt then almost guaranteed he will have torn the front engine mount rubber. This causes the engine to rock severely and knocks the alignment of the tranny out big time.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:08 PM

Didn't think of the mounts. Definitely should be checked before you start looking at the clutch plate. Reading your post again, actually some of your symptoms point towards the engine moving excessively.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:14 AM

Have you had any luck getting the problem sorted?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:41 AM

Skullo, Been through same thing with mine - gears crunching, will be due to the fork (clutch release lever) they get worn over time, to replace from Chrysler its approx £250 for the part and you cannot buy aftermarket. My mechanic ended up taking my one out, welded the worn part and re fabricated, fitted all back in, Presto - car drove like a dream after that.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:59 AM

thanks for the comments on this.

so, i had two second opinions and both thought it was a botched job, at which point i decided to risk it and get the garage to take the box out again.

it turns out that it was the clutch release bearing that was in pieces out which point the garaged agreed to replace under warrantee.

even after that they still gave me some jive about the possibility of it being caused by a warped fly wheel which seems pretty unlikely to me considering that it was problematic the moment i got my car back the first time and now runs like normal.

needless to say i will not be going back to a Formula one garage in the future!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Glad you got that sorted.

The job was probably done by some spotty 17 year old apprentice who bodged it. I think the flywheels are pretty robust on these....(don't hear of many flywheel problems on this forum)