Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

PT Cruiser Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 02:52 PM
Default PT Cruiser Problem

Hey, so I've been having this problem with my 04 PT Cruiser since I got it last year, and cannot figure it out. I explain in the video pretty much whats going on but to sum it up when I let off the gas pedal(and sometimes when I press it) the vehicle jerks repeatedly and it sounds like the engine is sort of galloping/bucking. You can really hear the problem in the video at around 58 seconds. I also notice this metallic rubbing at 1500-2000rpm that goes away when higher in the powerband. I've replaced every engine mount on the car(main one included), transmission mount, timing belt(as preventative maintenance), new spark plugs, coil pack, spark plug wires, etc. Lower + upper intake gaskets, injector o rings etc, Nothing seems to fix the problem. The CEL has nothing to do with the problem, its just for the IAT sensor because one of the wires broke. Starting to wonder if its an internal problem in the transaxle or the engine. Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Link to the video:

Old 10-05-2022, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

what are the codes for the check engine light what brad spark plugs did you use ?

Old 10-05-2022, 07:51 PM

The engine code has nothing to do with it, it's been doing this long before the code, but the code is for the IAT P0113 because one of the connector wires broke, just haven't gotten to fixing yet. And oh man the spark plugs, I replaced about 6 months ago so I have a hard time remembering, but I believe they were Bosch?

Old 10-05-2022, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
what are the codes for the check engine light what brad spark plugs did you use ?
On another forum, someone suggested that it could be the upper and lower torque struts/engine mounts. While I did replace both of them, I was told there's actually two different part numbers for automatic and manual transaxle models, the ones meant for the manual 5 speeds have stiffer bushings in them. Now, all the aftermarket ones don't say anything about that, so I wonder if the upper one could be causing it, because the lower replacement is an OEM, however not sure if it's the right one for the manual or not.So I'm wondering if maybe the engine is moving around too much because they're not stiff enough mounts.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Did the issue happen after you replaced the mounts? if not then i doubt it. You can test this open your hood Put the car in drive and R press on the gas see what the engine does how much it moves. The mounts should only move when you first put it in gear or R while driving the engine torque would be roughly the same through the power band .
When its doing this issue put the trans into 3rd see what happens does it change or stay the same ? What's the condition of the trans fluid?