Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

****I really need Help on this ABS issue ****

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 03:18 AM
Unhappy ****I really need Help on this ABS issue ****

Hi all

Look I really need help with this ABS issue that I have on my car, currently it failed its MOT because the ABS light came on, (3 months now) I took it to a chrysler dealer who charged me £500 to say that they could not communicate with the ABS unit to look at the codes and so they suspect that the CAB module was faulty, they did replace the front wheel sensors, they did suspect that the wiring was damaged but then said that it was ok, but they were still unable to communicate with the ABS module

I replaced the CAB module and the light is still coming on, the ABS light stays off when you put the ignition key on but comes on after about 15 secounds with the hand brake light.

I checked a block diagram for the ABS unit and it shows that the Diagnositic plug is connected to the ABS unit through the IPM, is it this that has broken down? I have checked the continuity of all the cables off the ABS plug to all the wheel sensors, these are ok, the power is their both switched and constant, I checked the PCI line to the IPM unit and this is good.

We do not have the money available to go back to the chrysler dealership to have them say that it could be this or that again, so I need to trouble shoot this as best I can to reduce any further costs before I go back to the dealership for another extortionate bill?

I have an elderly relative that we transport around and this is the only car that we can easily get him in and out of, I got stopped by the police on the way back from the dealership to tell me that I had no MOT and got a fixed penaly and points on my license to boot?

Please I really need some help on this one?

Old 01-22-2011, 07:48 PM

Year of Vehicle?????

Your Profile says Scotland, so I'm assuming that you have a "European" designed vehicle (Which Here in the USA would be listed as an EXPORT...And is Totally different from Our DOMESTIC models.

Now, from the beginning.....

Maybe Maybe not....but you said you have switched and constant power at CAB.........The most common overlooked Issue...even By professionally trained dealer Techs.....WHAT ABOUT THE GROUND WIRING???????

I'm assuming MOT is what we call a SAFETY INSPECTION, But an Inoperative ABS system is not cause for rejection here.

Unfortunately....Anything that rides on PCI is a bit tricky to diagnose without the PROPER scan tool.....OBDII readers do NOTHING for this case.....

POst back the details ...Year make and model...Euro or US....and we'll take it from there..... Step at a time...

Old 01-23-2011, 03:07 AM

Thanks for replying

The model is a CGV 2005 2.8 crd Limited. european.

I have checked the ground wires both are good and are a direct connection to the battery terminal through a spliced connection in the wiring harness, I am an electrician by trade so I can diagnose most defects with little effort, but without the correct information I really do not stand a chance and the only diagram I have as stated is a block diagram from the ABS module which matches all the wires that I have with the pin diagram and it shows the PCI line going through the IPM out to the diagnostic plug?

I am away at work at the moment and I was speaking with the wife who had to drive it last night(More family Issues) and she said that the ABS light came on when she drove to the hospital and when she drove back it went off? From this I would have said that it had to be a dodgy connection somewhere!

We also had an issue awhile ago when the dash lights all came on? (no dials) but all the lights and the only way that I managed to reset this was to pull the main fuse out of the IPM?

Yep this is confusing, we did take it to a local auto electricians who were able to talk with the engine control and body module but no comms with the ABS, they checked all the cables and their are no grounds through them if this helps.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:03 PM

Hi Gasman

Your ABS problem rang a bell with me, please see the thread below.

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...t+wheel+sensor

I hope your problem is as simple as this.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Rodger

Thanks for the link, I read this one as well and checked it out, but as the garage had replaced the front sensors the cogs were clean at the front? i think it may be a little more complicated than this, as stated the ABS light at the moment is not coming on when you first put the ignition key in and only comes on after iddling for about 15 secounds without any travel?