Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Voyager GS (3.3L EGA) - Radiator coolant leak from behind trans hose fitting

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:56 AM
Unhappy 1997 Voyager GS (3.3L EGA) - Radiator coolant leak from behind trans hose fitting

HELP !!

1997 Chrysler GS Voyager 3.3L (EGA):

Decided to renew the coolant (previously had just water) in the engine/radiator. Prior to this, the radiator showed no signs of leaks, but after renewing the coolant, there is coolant seeping from behind the brass trans cooler fitting (screwed into the plastic tank). This internal fitting protrudes out from the plastic tank and is secured only by a thin metal washer and thin nut (refer to attached image of an identical fitting).

So, just to be clear: the coolant is leaking from the body of the plastic radiator (behind the fitting).

The nut wasn't very tight, so I tried tightening to stop the leakage, but didn't seem to make much difference as coolant was still seeping out from behind the washer. I didn't want to tighten it excessively, in case I damaged the plastic tank.

To inspect the fitting, I drained some coolant and removed both nut & washer. There was no o-ring or seal behind the washer. The fitting can be partly pushed into the tank, allowing coolant to escape.

It appears this fitting mates against the internal wall of the radiator when tightened with the nut on the outer wall, but I see no way of sealing the fitting.

So, even though I've tightened the nut, there is still a "gap" in the plastic tank behind the washer, allowing coolant to escape.

Should there be an o-ring, rubber seal (or similar) behind the washer?
Is this repair a simple matter of using a suitable sealant compound?

Can anyone please suggest how to remedy this small leak?

Thank you in advance...

Scotty

Attached Thumbnails 1997 Voyager GS (3.3L EGA) - Radiator coolant leak from behind trans hose fitting-radiator_trans-cooler-fitting.jpg  
Old 10-20-2015, 09:40 AM
tfb

I'd dry it off as best as possible and fit an o ring behind the washer and/or some silicone gasket sealant. If you use silicone then nip the nut up while it is still wet and when it cures give it another 1/2 turn or so to get a good compression seal.

Regards
Richard

Old 10-20-2015, 01:04 PM

The correct thing/item to use here would be a douty (spelling?) which is a rubber seal in a washer basically. These come in different sizes. I used to use them on high pressure fuel pumps. That's of course if the faces are good.
However might be better with a fibre washer with or without Stag or Hylomar.
Rubber washers can squeeze out if over tightened.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:06 PM

Dowty seals, bonded washers.