Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 T&C power steering pump fitting leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Default 1999 T&C power steering pump fitting leak

I'm a new member to the Chrysler forum. Nice place you all have here.
I hope this is an easy question because it looked like an easy fix but we all know how that goes....

I have a neighbor with a T&C that was leaking power steering fluid badly. I crawled under it and found that the pressure line was leaking where its fitting threads into the pump. It is leaking between the hose and the fitting which indicates that the o-ring had gone bad. Pulled the line and found a badly damaged o-ring. Went to the local auto place and they had to match the o-ring out of an assortment. So I also asked for a few same, bigger and smaller in size while I was there. So far standard stuff when working on cars.

Back at the T&C, installed the o-ring added fluid, started the system to look for leaks and found the following. The joint looks wet when being used normally. When the steering wheel is turned all the way to either side, it will drip fluid from the same place between the fitting and the tube.

Tried different o-rings and didnt solve the problem completely. I hate to have the guy buy a new hose or a new pump unless its needed especially just to get an o-ring.

The tube looks well formed and I dont see any dings in the upset for the o-ring. I also dont see scratches or cracks where the o-ring seats. The pump side looks good and I see no burrs, scratches or badly machined surfaces in there.

Does anybody know if this is a standard metric / SAE o-ring or if Chrysler uses a specifically designed o-ring in this unit? I cant believe that it would be specific but who knows.

Thanks everyone.
rockrat~

Old 12-01-2010, 07:11 PM

If that nut where it seats on the flare tip on the line is damaged, no o-ring is going to stop the leak. Sounds to me like the line was tightened down with a split seal. (prior to you getting a crack at it of course, damage was done already)

Last edited by TNtech; 12-01-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 PM

The tube end was not flared but upset for an o-ring. The replacement has the same end form. So are you saying the the tube end, even though it looks good, may be damaged enough to keep the o-ring form working properly? Bummer.

A new tube is only $30 but when I compared it to a 0.50¢ o-ring, the o-ring won. I guess he may need the new tube anyway. Well, hes only out the 0.50¢ so far and the leak is minimal compared to previous so $30 shouldn't hurt too bad.

Thanks
rockrat~

Old 01-22-2012, 02:52 AM
Cool Replace power steering pumb

Hi I need to replace my power steering pump on my 2.5TD Voyager can anyone please tell me the best way to tackle this job.
Richard

Old 01-22-2012, 05:21 PM

rock u should b able to try putting teflon tape on the threads