Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Voyager se No internal lights? help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:34 PM

Well that was a waste of time....

told them what needed doing, told them what was wrong, also told them to make sure they had a clockspring ready as I didn't want to be waiting around, (my kids are on school break and there are five of them! lol)

well 20mins after i'd dropped it off I get a phone call....one of those good news/bad news calls

good news
yes sir you were right you do need a new clockspring and that is the fault, and yes sir your vehicle does qualify for the recall but....

bad news
we haven't got a clockspring in stores and wont have one in until tomorrow morning, could you come back then!

I know its only a 35-40min drive, but I had already requested that they make sure they had one in! If it didn't qualifiy and I did have to pay then I would be absolutely livid, but seeing ashow it's a freebie I guess i'll have to let this one slide!

on a mechanical note, i have had to change the sway link arm on the passenger side and both tie/track rod ends plus on order i have got two anti-roll bar bushes winding their way to me, them fingers crossed she'll pass the MOT,

BUT I still have no sign of life with the interior lights!!! any suggestions guys come on.... I'll try anything Legal that is! lol

Old 04-08-2009, 04:25 PM

Hi
If you turn the dimmer switch all the way up will they come on? I'll look up some info for you. Is it all interior lights/ reading lights?

Old 04-08-2009, 04:29 PM

Does the glove box light work?

Old 04-09-2009, 03:32 AM

thanks merlin, no reading lights fitted just the center and rear dome lights, and no glovebox light doesn't work either, have had the driver side and passenger side door switch off and it's not making good contact when test for continuity.

The passenger sliding door switches are good bcoz the light comes on the dash.

bulbs are fine in the center dome and rear dome, and when testing for continuity on each terminal of the feed wire to ground there is a good beep on the meter?

I dunno what else it could be, all fuses are fine, but i dont know if there is a relay for this/these??

many thanks for any input

Last edited by wv53; 04-09-2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: carnt spel
Old 04-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Hi
Can you look at the glove box first and see if there is power there and the bulb is ok.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:22 PM

Hey will check the glovebox first thing in the morning, it's dark at the mo! lol

Took voyager back to the chrysler main dealer at peterborough at 8.30am again, this time they did have the clockspring in! wohoo I thought.....not so.

I'll explain....

left it there for an hour and a half, fed and watered the kids at McDonalds then went to pick it up! was greeted by a man who did the whole short intake of breath thing and shook his head then called over a very tall thin woman to me who informed me that the clockspring had been fitted and the price is all covered by the recall however although the airbag light now goes out this hasn't in fact cured the horn problem???

She then went on to tell me that we're now entering the realm where i'd need to start spending some money to diagnose and fix the problem, then she asked me what I'd like to do...

well take one guess....

I took it home.... I have had the entire horn wiring checked both by myself and an electrician, I myself have bypassed the clockspring with a jumper cable and depressed the horn and it worked! so why wasn't it working then with a new clockspring I thought.

Further investigation when I got home revealed all!!!

They had indeed fitted a new clock spring, but what they hadn't told me was, that when their technician was doing this he also used a special tool to swap the horn feed from the horn relay to a different hole in the terminal block therefore rendering the horn inoperable.

mind you the technician wasn't very bright because he's left the special tool he used on the passenger seat which my wife duley sat on (ouch!),

I have rectified the swapped wire and the horn works fine, and I know where the cable was yesterday because I was showing a friend of mine what I meant when I said about bypassing the clockspring,

I was not happy, how dare a reputable main dealer who represents Chrysler try that kind of backstreet underhand tactics to try to con money out of a family in these troublesome times I think it's absolutly diabolical!

what do you guys think?

Old 04-10-2009, 03:59 PM

hey went to check the glove box light, only to find that there inst one! just a blanker plate where the switch for it would be!

had most of the dash apart today to find the extent of the previous owners fiddling with the electronics!

mainly confined to behind the headlight/dimmer/power mirror controls

I could take a picture if that would help,

Old 04-11-2009, 06:17 PM

Drop me an e-mail so I can reply to it with some info

Old 04-13-2009, 05:14 PM

have started to take off black tape the previous owner had placed on some cables he'd spliced,

one of them was on the black/red cable that feeds the clockspring, that goes along a small cable that joins a grey/orange cable, from the look of it, it seems to bypass the horn relay control in the BCM? i have a wiring diagram here for the horn wiring and i'm only a novice with auto electrics

now on to the headlights,

the green/white and the green/orange have got some wires piggy backed off of them i could sketch down what the wiring looks like if anyone here can make any sense of it and perhaps meybe tell me what the relay someone has improvised in is intended to do.

I seem to have hit a wall with the interior lights, i'm guessing there maybe a problem with the BCU and that is why all these other things have been bypassed to make them work! but at the moment the only thing that doesn't work is the entire internal light circuit including key halo, center dome, rear dome, driver couresty lamp and passenger courtesy lamp

by looking on the wiring diagram these all go through the bcu and I'm guessing that is the reason why they aren't working.

I guess I wont know for sure unless I can find somebody with a spare BCU kickin around! lol til then I guess I can live without the interior lights! lol

Thanks for all your help and input up til now I feel I've learned something now about how the car works! haha as if lol

Tell you what merlin when I go on holiday later in the year i'll make sure it's to cornwall/devon and i'll drop it off with ya lol (only kiddin!)

Old 04-13-2009, 05:35 PM

You are welcome to do that and I'll look at you lights for you.