Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2.5 CRD P1130 Fuel Rail Pressure Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 10:51 AM
kkc
Default 2.5 CRD P1130 Fuel Rail Pressure Malfunction

Hello everyone, some of you know that recently I had problems with
  • rough idling when hot / misfiring (when cold it's ok),
  • black smoke under heavy acceleration regardless of engine being hot or cold,
  • rich exhaust smell (too much fuel relative to air).

All other functions are fine -
  • no oil consumption,
  • no coolant leak into engine,
  • slight reduction in acceleration, but still goes like a rocket,
  • fuel consumption is good at 40mpg). Recently drove to Germany 100mph .. no problem.

I am now getting a P1130 which means one of the following:

1. CR (Common Rail) leakage detected - hmmm??? I don't see any external leaks...!
2. CR pressure too high - replaced the HP pump solenoid, no change
3. CR pressure too low - black smoke indicates, if anything opressure is too hiugh
4. CR pressure solenoid open - replaced the HP pump solenoid, no change

I am now thinking of replacing the CR pressure relief valve.. if that is not functioning well, the CR pressures would be too high. Thoughts anyone?

The next step would be to remove and check the injectors. Has anyone done this? Experience? Is a puller required?

If the injectors are removed, is it possible to do a cylinder compression test using the injector port? Or must I use the glow plug port? I don't have a high pressure gauge so any recommendations would be great.

Many thanks, kkc

Last edited by kkc; 11-02-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:48 PM

1130 is an Oxygen Sensor issue, emmm yes checked again.
Pulling the Injectors, special tool required for this and if you go onto You Tube you will see two guys standing on engine doing this job. I think of Scotsman4th regarding this issue.
CR Common rail pressure relief valve give problems issued with loss of pressure and resulting in engine cut outs under power right down to not starting at all.
Try injector cleaner for a start.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:01 PM
kkc

Thank you goggs.

Originally Posted by goggs
1130 is an Oxygen Sensor issue, emmm yes checked again.

for the CRD, there is no O2 sensor. Just air intake pressure sensor. according to the chrysler diagnostics P1130 is CR pressure related.

Pulling the Injectors, special tool required for this and if you go onto You Tube you will see two guys standing on engine doing this job. I think of Scotsman4th regarding this issue.

CR Common rail pressure relief valve give problems issued with loss of pressure and resulting in engine cut outs under power right down to not starting at all.

does this not also allow diesel to return to the HP pump low side if the CR pressue is too high? Are you saying that if defective, it would reduce any pressure in the CR to very low levels? If so then clearly my valve is working.

Try injector cleaner for a start.

Yes, I have tried this. I use a diesel additive 1-2 times a year. Unfortunately, it did not help.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:02 PM

Enter!... Good old BG244

Discount codes available

Old 11-02-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by TimmyTim
Enter!... Good old BG244

Discount codes available
- you sir are beginning to sound like a 'shill' for the sales of that product
- I take it you do not want to declare an interest in the products promotion ?

Old 11-02-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
- you sir are beginning to sound like a 'shill' for the sales of that product
- I take it you do not want to declare an interest in the products promotion ?
I Sir do not have any interest in either the products or the sale of same. My only interest is to try to help others on the forum.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:14 AM
tfb

P1130 is the raised when the actual fuel pressure as measured by the fuel rail pressure sensor doesn't match the expected pressure or no signal is received from the fuel rail pressure sensor.

Over pressure is rare so I'll ignore that and assume under pressure.

Under pressure can be caused by not enough fuel getting to the injection pump (air getting in instead or blocked filter/lines, or both) or fuel leaking out of the system (dribbly injectors, excessive leakback from injectors, cracks in pipes, loose unions, leaking pressure relief valve) or the fuel control actuator on the IP is not letting the correct amount of fuel into the IP or the IP is just worn out.

All these parts can be tested and the fault proven before paying out for lots of parts.

Look for increasing engine oil level as a sign of dribbly injectors, leakback test on all injectors, disconnect leakback hose from pressure relief valve and look for any signs of fuel escaping (this is a safety device and fuel should never come out unless something is seriously shagged). When was the fuel filter changed?, is it tight, is the water drain on the bottom tight?. Splice a section of clear plastic pipe into the fuel line from the filter to the IP and look for air bubbles

Regards
Richard

Old 11-07-2014, 10:38 AM

In my opinion BG244 or the petrol equivalent pour in, and plug in products are 'snake oil', as are similar products for engine oil or coolant. Everyone wants to believe in the Voodoo that some one can magic better performance out of motor vehicle components, take a slap with a 'reality stick' folks its all Paul Daniels smoke & mirrors. Any chemical able to get close to effective would never be allowed on retail sale in any western nation. Just give me your money every week, pour this in a hole and I will boost your mileage by 20% or 30%, suggests some subterranean garage dweller has stumbled upon the previously undiscovered secrets of thermodynamics and physics, and all the worlds major car and truck engine makers with their megga tri££ion R&D budgets missed this science that would that would give their cars and trucks an overwhelming world wide advantage in the marketplace.

Your van already burns 99% of what you pay for, the wasted 1% hydrocarbon & monoxide then hits the CAT, even if this miracle was real and not 'snake oil' and could make the burn all the 100% the mileage benefit would only be 1% not the quantum level increases the 'snake oil' factories claim. I know there are lots of people who say """there's on born every minute""" and there is just look at the sales of most motoring magazine, websites, forums and infomercials coming out of the blog writers bedrooms. Someone must be buying them - but not me - science and evidence based fact - not emotion is needed. I'm agnostic and quite prepared to believe anything .. .. .. if you can overcome my scepticism with facts.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:29 AM
tfb

Originally Posted by QinteQ
In my opinion BG244 or the petrol equivalent pour in, and plug in products are 'snake oil', as are similar products for engine oil or coolant. Everyone wants to believe in the Voodoo that some one can magic better performance out of motor vehicle components, take a slap with a 'reality stick' folks its all Paul Daniels smoke & mirrors. Any chemical able to get close to effective would never be allowed on retail sale in any western nation. Just give me your money every week, pour this in a hole and I will boost your mileage by 20% or 30%, suggests some subterranean garage dweller has stumbled upon the previously undiscovered secrets of thermodynamics and physics, and all the worlds major car and truck engine makers with their megga tri££ion R&D budgets missed this science that would that would give their cars and trucks an overwhelming world wide advantage in the marketplace.

Your van already burns 99% of what you pay for, the wasted 1% hydrocarbon & monoxide then hits the CAT, even if this miracle was real and not 'snake oil' and could make the burn all the 100% the mileage benefit would only be 1% not the quantum level increases the 'snake oil' factories claim. I know there are lots of people who say """there's on born every minute""" and there is just look at the sales of most motoring magazine, websites, forums and infomercials coming out of the blog writers bedrooms. Someone must be buying them - but not me - science and evidence based fact - not emotion is needed. I'm agnostic and quite prepared to believe anything .. .. .. if you can overcome my scepticism with facts.
agreed

Old 11-07-2014, 01:03 PM

I don't believe that any of these products will increase your mpg! But some like BG244 (In my experience of use) do clean the fuel system . But its up to the person if they want to use any products out there. There is always 2 sides to the coin! For me it worked! For others!... Maybe not

Quick Reply: 2.5 CRD P1130 Fuel Rail Pressure Malfunction