Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8 crd timing belt slip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 06:17 AM
Default 2.8 crd timing belt slip?

Hi guys new to forum have a problem hope I can get some clarity with. Recently bought a grand voyager 5 2.8crd with issues. Car was driving perfect then on accelerating from roundabout car would not rev past 3k then after lifting throttle and trying again would not rev past 2k then slowly got worse and cut out. On turning over car will make small attempts to fire then nothing. Only code that came up was crank sensor. Took easy route and replaced crank and cam sensor still no change and crank sensor code still there. I think reluctor wheel is OK as I am getting almost 300rpm on cranking on my scanner so I assume crank sensor is picking up reluctor wheel. So my question is will a faulty reluctor wheel show some or no rpm when cranking and will crank sensor code come up if timing belt has slipped (belt is not snapped as cams still turning over)

Any help appreciated
Ed

Old 09-27-2021, 01:05 PM

If timing belt had jumped (slipped) you would have at least a very lumpy engine and probably a heap of bent metal. Valve timing is critical and clearances are so tight on modern engines that I doubt very much your belt would have slipped. Suggest you check that the signal from both sensors(rising square wave increasing in frequency as revs increase) - (crank and cam) are getting back to the ECU i.e. check for wiring fault.
Fault codes are not 100% reliable on these vehicles.

Old 09-27-2021, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by RichardM
If timing belt had jumped (slipped) you would have at least a very lumpy engine and probably a heap of bent metal. Valve timing is critical and clearances are so tight on modern engines that I doubt very much your belt would have slipped. Suggest you check that the signal from both sensors(rising square wave increasing in frequency as revs increase) - (crank and cam) are getting back to the ECU i.e. check for wiring fault.
Fault codes are not 100% reliable on these vehicles.
Thanks for advice Richard. I will check crank and cam sensor wiring again. Can't check a change in rpm because engine won't start. I thought sensor was working because I'm getting between 260 - 300rpm on cranking. With these engines rocker arms are designed to break on timing belt failures so any more damage than rockers in event of complete failure of timing belt is very rare. I have removed rocker cover today and all seems fine.

Old 05-11-2022, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Edmac
Thanks for advice Richard. I will check crank and cam sensor wiring again. Can't check a change in rpm because engine won't start. I thought sensor was working because I'm getting between 260 - 300rpm on cranking. With these engines rocker arms are designed to break on timing belt failures so any more damage than rockers in event of complete failure of timing belt is very rare. I have removed rocker cover today and all seems fine.

Same problem ,???

Old 05-13-2022, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by mairo1011
Same problem ,???

same propleem, i need help