Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8CRD Glow Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 01:16 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by andyb2000
Success!

Spent a bit of time yesterday and today and managed to replace 3 out of 4 plugs so far (The one behind the alternator I've not managed to yet, will need a flexi to get that out).

QinteQ, it's starting a treat now even with only 3 out of 4, no huge cloud of smoke. And yep, all four plugs were completely dead, so the electrical test of checking resistance on the tip of the plug to ground whilst still in the block is a decent test, did the job!

If anyone wants it, i've done a basic video on what I did to replace them. Feel free to drop comments or laughter at my lack of mechanical prowess!

https://youtu.be/2vtGGp4Jqp8
Beautiful. Is the 2.5 engine simiar to the 2.8 and will glow plugs be in similar places. Whats the name of your multimeter? I bought 1 last year but apparently it no good for car work

How about you make a vid for injectors ? Please sir

Old 02-15-2016, 01:24 PM
Red face

This is what I have

Attached Thumbnails 2.8CRD Glow Plugs-20160215_191620.jpg  
Old 02-15-2016, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by darkcild101
Beautiful. Is the 2.5 engine simiar to the 2.8 and will glow plugs be in similar places. Whats the name of your multimeter? I bought 1 last year but apparently it no good for car work

How about you make a vid for injectors ? Please sir
When I had the 2.5, the glow plugs were in the same position and were testable the same way.
A basic multimeter will let you test most stuff, here's one for £3.11.

Digital Multimeter LCD Display AC DC Volt Amp Ohm Transistor Tester DT-830B | eBay

Having removed a few injectors in my time, you need a 10mm socket to remove the clamp bolt, an injector removal tool, and most likely a 2ft breaker bar and a 30mm socket. A ratchet and 30mm socket works with a scaffold pole as well.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Scotsman4th
When I had the 2.5, the glow plugs were in the same position and were testable the same way.
A basic multimeter will let you test most stuff, here's one for £3.11.

Digital Multimeter LCD Display AC DC Volt Amp Ohm Transistor Tester DT-830B | eBay

Having removed a few injectors in my time, you need a 10mm socket to remove the clamp bolt, an injector removal tool, and most likely a 2ft breaker bar and a 30mm socket. A ratchet and 30mm socket works with a scaffold pole as well.

Thanks for the multimeter link. The reason I wanted a video is because I am nog sure which are the injectors you see. Everything I now know about cars has been through this and mercedes forum and I am still learning. Ordering multimeter now

Old 02-15-2016, 04:30 PM

Measuring by calculating the magnetic field strength around a wire needs the wire to be in very close proximity to the cable, this 'hall effect' type meter is not particularly accurate but good enough for most non-low current [example - parasympathetic loss] 12v DC purposes. You don't need a fancy autoranging meter a
cheepo cheepo
LidL: £5 job will do just as good for these purposes.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:42 PM

It might take a wee while as it comes from China, but well worth having. (QinteQ has linked to the same metre from Amazon, might be a quicker option).
I'll be testing the glow plugs over the next day or two, whilst the engine covers off, I'll take a couple of pictures and put a description together. It's quite straightforward and you would have no problem doing it if you want them out.
One thing, if you ever take them out, most places (chrysler included when I asked) only mention a copper washer on the bottom of the injectors. There's also an O-ring on them that you would be better replacing if you pulled them too.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:02 PM

Keep an eye on LidL or Aldi, they sell at £5 when in stock, job dome !

Old 02-16-2016, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Scotsman4th
One thing, if you ever take them out, most places (chrysler included when I asked) only mention a copper washer on the bottom of the injectors. There's also an O-ring on them that you would be better replacing if you pulled them too.
Is that on the 2.5 Scotsman4th? No such thing I found on the 2.8CRD, and am not sure what the purpose would be?

darkcild101: The injectors shouldn't be totally different, take top cover off and spongy cover, should start to see what you're working with, but take the correct precautions to remove pressure, etc. But not something I've got planned, at least not at the moment! If I do, you know where i'll post the info ;-)

Old 02-16-2016, 02:46 PM

I read somewhere yesterday on internet that its the same injectors on 2.5 & 2.8CRD engines. As too the copper washers on the Injectors they should be annealed before using so the injector face bites into the soft copper as its tightened down. Easy to test if its annealed as it bends easy.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by andyb2000
Is that on the 2.5 Scotsman4th? No such thing I found on the 2.8CRD, and am not sure what the purpose would be?
Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 Crd Diesel Injector WITH 30 DAY WARRANTY 2004-2008 | eBay

You can see the o-ring about an inch and a half above where the copper washer would sit.

Quick Reply: 2.8CRD Glow Plugs