Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8crd Grand Voyager non start

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:18 AM
tfb

Autoenguinity will talk to all the modules except engine and will allow live data and activations.

Launch X431 will talk to all modules and allow live data and actuations

Autocom CDP will talk to all modules and allow live data and actuations

Autoboss doesn't seem to want to talk to anything

Maxidiag doesn't seem to want to talk to anything

Fault codes are useful starting point, but they need to be interpreted correctly together with viewing live data and other test results.

With regards to batteries, I've had good success with the Bosch Silver S5 096 and have fitted this type to a few of my cars - all large diesels. Costco do these for about £60-70 I think. There is a considerable difference in performance between premium and budget batteries.

Regards

Richard

Old 02-02-2013, 04:50 AM

Thanks for replies, they are much appreciated.
With regard battery I have plumped for expensive Exide AGM 50 Ah 1000cca battery which seems to be superb. It cranks for ages which I need at present until this sorted. I had the Bosch battery mentioned before and it lasted 11 months.
As we stand I am having the fuel filter and housing changed with the modified plug on Wednesday as last roll of dice before main stealers. I need a new filter anyway so I think I might as well. After a chat with a parts man at Chrysler he said it is the most common reason for this fault. The housing cracks lets air in when off and leaks fuel into heater plug on top whilst driving causing electrical fault there as well. I also found an interesting thread on another non Chrysler related forum about this issue with this exact fix. There is a guy on the forum who is supposedly looking for people to catalogue their experiences so he can take a class action lawsuit against Chrysler / Fiat as he believes there is a safety issue and a recall is needed. I don't fancy his chances but it did make interesting reading. I will try and post it later.
Thanks and I will keep you updated on Wednesday.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:58 AM
Old 02-03-2013, 06:39 AM

I would have thought that most of us who drive (Grand) Voyagers would have learned all about the fuel heater problem. It is my understanding that Chrysler introduced a revised fuel filter/heater which was what I had fitted to my car. Prior to that, the engine would simply stop under accelleration - i.e. pulling away from a traffic light and stalling in the middle of the intersection as the fuel pump demanded more fuel but sucked air. I doubt that diesel causes the shorting in fact I dont know that there is shorting within the plug the fact it that a crack appears between the pins of the socket allowing air to get into where it is not wanted. If there is any shorting it would not be passive. When you remove the plug from the heater you will smell diesel - if you have the problem.

Apart from that and having watched Richard use it, I would have to say that the Launch X431 is the best diagnostic too I have seen - better indeed than those used by many (non-Chrysler) service organisations...

Now, about Black Death...

Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by vrc8883
I would have thought that most of us who drive (Grand) Voyagers would have learned all about the fuel heater problem. It is my understanding that Chrysler introduced a revised fuel filter/heater which was what I had fitted to my car. Prior to that, the engine would simply stop under accelleration - i.e. pulling away from a traffic light and stalling in the middle of the intersection as the fuel pump demanded more fuel but sucked air. I doubt that diesel causes the shorting in fact I dont know that there is shorting within the plug the fact it that a crack appears between the pins of the socket allowing air to get into where it is not wanted. If there is any shorting it would not be passive. When you remove the plug from the heater you will smell diesel - if you have the problem.

Apart from that and having watched Richard use it, I would have to say that the Launch X431 is the best diagnostic too I have seen - better indeed than those used by many (non-Chrysler) service organisations...

To be honest, my 2.5 CRD has only cut out perhaps 4 or 5 times, always injector related (once it blew an injector out, other times was a leaking injector). Switch off, restart, all ok. Apart from the blown one.

Black Death? I'm assuming that's the sludge that can build up/form in the fuel tank?

Since I read about a product used on boats(grotemar?) that you treat fuel with to prevent it, I sometimes use something called Fuel Set. Seems to do the same, and as I make my own biodiesel I put it in the fuel before it goes in the tank.

My home kerosene tank has a black algae-like substance in it if you disturb the bottom, I'm thinking thats the same idea.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by vrc8883
I would have thought that most of us who drive (Grand) Voyagers would have learned all about the fuel heater problem. It is my understanding that Chrysler introduced a revised fuel filter/heater which was what I had fitted to my car. Prior to that, the engine would simply stop under acceleration - i.e. pulling away from a traffic light and stalling in the middle of the intersection as the fuel pump demanded more fuel but sucked air. I doubt that diesel causes the shorting in fact I dont know that there is shorting within the plug the fact it that a crack appears between the pins of the socket allowing air to get into where it is not wanted. If there is any shorting it would not be passive. When you remove the plug from the heater you will smell diesel - if you have the problem.

- X431 about 2 grand plus another big lump of money for the updates and 'know all net link'
- if it give all 4 sets of full information, in particular the 1 & 0 codes of Voyager CRD's
- too salty a price for a DIY'er, worth the money in the UK for a pro

Name:  yBD8OTb.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  52.6 KB

Your friend 'tfb' should put his location and mobile up here. All you get at a main stealer is the printout, tfb doing the same for cheaper money would be a nice earner for him, and welcomed by the UK Voyager CRD users near enough to him to make use of the service.

Last edited by QinteQ; 02-03-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 AM
tfb

Cambridgeshire

and anyone is welcome to a code read...no charge

Regards

Richard

Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by tfb
Cambridgeshire

and anyone is welcome to a code read...no charge

Regards

Richard
- generous - to the user community
- if I lived within distance, and had a problem, I'd go .. .. and pay
- for me however too much distance

Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 PM
tfb

I do travel to London most nights, if that's any help

Regards

Richard

Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 PM

Right,Black Death is the name Mercedes owners gave to the problem of injectors being siezed in position by carbon and half burned diesel settling and solidifying all around the place; in the vicinity of the Injectors - the term has since been adopted by pretty much everyone else, at least as far as diesel injection goes. I saw an injector today that would not come out; the hot diesel and exhaust fumes had caused disimilar metal "fretting" or corrosion along with carbon buildup that pretty much bonded it in place. In the end, re-bar was welded to the top of the injector and it was attached to a hoist. The car was hanging from the injector for two days!! It came out in the end but is now an expensive souvenir, not an injector. If you have any injector leakage of combustion products from the combustion chamber, best get it dealt with quickly.

For some reason, I can envisage a line-up of Voyagers on Richard's street! You are in safe hands and might even get a real cup of tea - now that's service for you!

Last edited by vrc8883; 02-04-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 2.8crd Grand Voyager non start