Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Chrysler Town & Country Rear Tail lights are on but car is off

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:22 AM
Default 2002 Chrysler Town & Country Rear Tail lights are on but car is off

We have a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country and this problem just started recently in the extreme cold conditions. The rear tail lights (brake lights) randomly are on but the car itself if off. My wife just happen to look outside one evening and saw the van rear lights were on but it only appears to be the tail lights no other lights. I want to make this clear the van was not on/running, nor did it have any keys or anyone in the van. It was simply sitting in our driveway for the night. Thus I had to go out and try to figure how to get the lights off.

I tried starting the car, tapping the brake pedal, flipping the lights on and off via switch control but the lights stayed on. I finally started the car again, put the car in reverse to backup in our driveway and then back in drive to drive forward in the driveway. After I did this and placed the car back in park and shut the car off the tail lights went out. I went back to check on the car before calling it a night and low an behold the rear tail lights appeared to be back on but no other lights. The fear on our part is this random tail light issue with them just popping on would drain the battery if it happens, especially in the extreme cold conditions.

Has anyone one else see a T&C van have the rear tail lights just randomly kickon with the car off, just parked? We currently are experience extreme cold conditions which is when this started but it is just strange! This evening it almost rain our battery out and the only way to get the tail lights off was to disconnect the battery. Any idea? I read one person state they had something similar caused by the brake switch up under that dash that is depressed by the pedal. Is this possible? I'm at a loss here on how to resolve.

Anyone with insight is greatly appreciated because we are afraid to drive the van somewhere having to worry if the lights will randomly kick on and then we have a dead battery in the cold conditions as it caused tonight.

Thoughts?

Old 01-24-2014, 03:28 AM

Somewhere I have read of tail/brake lights coming on during the night (minivan not in use) when no-one is around. So you aren't the only one having had this condition.

My 1st approach would be to test the brake light operation at all-off, key out. Do they light up or not? If there seems to be a problem, investigate the relay (you can hear it clicking during normal operation) that it operates properly.

It's just possible that there's a micro. error. Leave the battery disconnected all night as you have been doing, then use the GV as normal. At the end of your journey turn all off and remove key as usual, then stand and watch it, see how long it takes for the brake/tail lights to come on. If they don't come on at all, a micro. glitch up is probable. Swap the battery for a known good one.

Examine the key and ignition switch; if old and worn, you can sometimes pull out the key in the "accessories" position. Make sure you pull it out in the "off" position.

That's all I can think of, but someone here might have had your identical problem.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 01-24-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:38 PM

I am charging the battery because the tail/brake ran the van dead with the cold temps that we are experience here. It wasn't completely dead but the rear lights we getting pretty deem when disconnected the battery. When I pushed on the brake pedal the tail lights did get brighter such as when brakes are depressed so maybe it isn't the brake relay. I will reconnect the battery once it is charged and let you know if the problem still exist after it being disconnected. Maybe this is a computer glitch as you noted. What would replacing the battery accomplish if the battery isn't bad? Also the ignition appears in good condition with the keys operating as normal.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:30 AM

If the battery is heavily sulphated, simply charging it in the normal way won't stop the problem if it be glitchups in a micro. board. It will still be sulphated. De-sulphation takes a long time. You need to install a known good battery and see.* There are explanations in some of my contributions here on this website.

Leedsman.
* You can get a s/h battery from a breaker's yard -- I have bought them for £15 each recently. Take your heavy-current test lamp (the usual car headlamp with wires soldered on, terminating in crocodile/alligator clips) and test the s/h battery to see it lights up the lamp at full brightness. Don't buy any that won't. See the terminals are on the proper side for your application.
WHEN YOU RUN A GV., HAVING A SPARE BATTERY IS A VERY GOOD IDEA!
Make sure the spare is kept charged/topped up every few weeks or so, keep it in the GV., and keep the jumper leads handy with it! You'll find this is good advice.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:22 PM

...or have your fully charged battery load tested.