Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2004 GV Headlamp Switch illumination - An update

Old 05-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Post 2004 GV Headlamp Switch illumination - An update

Hi All,

I recall there was a thread a while back talking about instrument panel illumination and replacing bulbs in general and I am sure the point was raised that the headlamp switch (and mirror switch) didn't light up....

Well, while digging around under the dash at the weekend (see "Odd Clunking Sound" for the reason why!) I pulled the headlamp switch cluster out for a closer look.

Damn it if Chrysler didn't leave out the whole illumination circuit and bulbs on the 2004 model!!!!

However, there is a solution:

1. Get to Maplins and buy some BT43W 12v miniature bulbs - I tried to get LEDs but they didn't have 12v white ones and I can't be bothered to work out the load resistor for a 5v one (probably 270ohms?)

2. Solder the bulbs onto the pads you will see once you split the switchblock casing apart - Do this bit CAREFULLY. Also, if you have a little sleeving you can try to make 'tunnels' for the fog lamp indicator LEDs so they won't get swamped by the ambient light from your new bulbs

3. Solder a wire about 200cm long to the pad where the pin is missing on the connector block

4. Rebuild the switchblock passing this wire through the gap in the casing next to the connector pins

5. Repeat (2) for mirror switch. If you peel off the black tape to reveal the hole, you can get the lamp solderedin without splitting the switch, but you will also need to solder a wire to the RHS pad looking from ther back of the switch

6. Join the wires you soldered with a spade tag to make life easier later

7 Refit the headlamp switchblock and get another bit of wire, maybe a metre in length. Fitr a spade to it and connect to the join you made in (6)

8. Thread this through the dash so you can get to it in a minute....

9. Remove the centre console fascia as follows:

9a. Remove the ashtray
9b. Pry off the grey bar just below the fascia
9c. Remove the two blanking bungs from the top of the fascia
9d. Remove four screws, two at the top, two at the bottom
9e. Pry off the fascia - CAREFULLY

BTW, you will need to do this if you have to replace any of the bulbs in the switchbar or the A/C control box - Also quite easy. but that's another story!

10. Look at the cable loom on the back of the switchbar. One of the wires will be Orange/Brown (the manual says that it's ORA/TAN) - but please check as this might not be the case - Mine seemed to tally with the book ok.

11. Strip this wire back and splice the new wirre from (8) onto this circuit

12. Test the illumination before rebuilding if you can just to prove you have everything OK.

Hope this might be helpful for the more adventurous DIY auto-electrician, but please don't do it if you're not confident!!!

(Disclaimer - I thought I should just say that I did it for my car in the full knowledge that if I f**ked it I would have to pay for it...if you do it for your car, and f**k it, I will not be paying anything, ok!)

Cheers

GL.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:54 AM

Rather than soldering bulbs to the boards, does anyone know what the correct bulbs to use are? There will be two sizes larger ones from the headlamp switch and a smaller one for the mirror adjustment switch.