Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Alarm light switch illumination question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Default Alarm light switch illumination question

Since I solved the headlight adjuster lighting problem I found 2 other small spots not illuminated on my dashboard.
The alarm switch and the rear window wiper switch.
I opened my centre dash console and found 2 dead leds, a blue one and a red one.
I asked the Chrysler dealer and "surprise surprise" if a small led fails you need to replace the whole switch unit for €150,-
Are they frikkin stupid at Chrysler/Mopar or what?

I am used working on 1986 Mercedes Benz and MB still sells every tiny little part of MB young timers for very reasonable prices but the morons at Chrysler parts fail epicly on customer support. They probably expect you to buy a new Chrysler when the ashtray is full.

But I am not easily defeated!
I can buy a second hand unit from a scrapyard but I would like to try to repair this unit myself. Unfortunately I am a noob where it comes to electrical parts so I ask the brains present here how to go forward. I searched for the replacement leds but, typically Chrysler, they are not to be found anywhere.

There are 2 small leds to be replaced (soldered) but which leds should I get?
Are there 12V leds in the right colour (red and blue) and size anywhere available which I can solder on the printplate? Or do I need to buy a 3.5V led and ad a resistor somewhere?

PS I tried the website I was pointed to earlier but couldn't find a suitable led

The challenge:

Attached Thumbnails Alarm light switch illumination question-2014-07-22-12.23.35.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 03:08 AM

I should have known it, but the bulbs that appeared to be LED are in fact tiny bulbs with the exact form and shape of LED. As was the same at the headlight switch.
But I tried to replace one bulb with a coloured LED + resistor and it doesn't work for some reason (I reveres polarity and still not working)

Nxt plan is to buy me some similar small bulbs and solder those to the printplate.
If that doesn't work I will need to buy a scrapyard switch module but I wont give in that easily