Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Speedometer / Fuel gauge / battery!!

Old 11-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Default Speedometer / Fuel gauge / battery!!

Hi all,

Can anyone please assist...I have a 1999 2.5 Diesel 5Sp manual Voyager with 97k on the clock.

Occasionally when I started the car speedo and rev counter would not work.

I would stop, switch off and start again and all would be fine.

Two days ago after no problems for about a week I started the car...rev counter worked fine but the speedo had a fit, moving eratically p to like 70mph and back donwn, fluttering then stopping. it has not moved since.

Also the fuel gauge is giving a false reading of approx 1/2 above that which is in the tank so it cant be trusted. I know I have 1/4 of a tank...reading is showing just under half.

Also on two occasions I have come to start the car and it clicks (battery very low and power) and it starts with a jump start.

I have done the trip / reset button test and all gauges and dials move and code 999 is displayed.

I will try disconnecting the battery tomorrow with a view to resetting the ECU????

Any suggestions and help would be most welcome, love my van and just want it to work !!!

Cheers

BM

Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 PM

First on the list is get your battery sorted out. One of the first signs of a weak battery is erratic instruments. Either replace it or get it charged and make sure the battery connections are clean and tight. A good battery should read 12.5vdc at the battery terminals engine off.

Not sure this applies to Euro spec vans but in the states, 3rd generation vans (96-00) are plagued by poor solder connections at the instrument cluster connection. It's the solder joints securing the connector to the cluster circuit board that crack and open the circuit.

Did the gauges move to the correct readings during the test?

Old 11-29-2012, 02:40 AM

Thanks for the reply Raptor, funny you should mention battery as its a year old and I have gone out a couple of times to a flat battery, I will probably try to get it replcaed under warranty.

On the clock check during test all dials move in sequence however speedo moves the correct number of times just not at the same places as the rev counter. Fuel and temp check in unison at same points.

More concerend to be honest with the false reading on the fuel gauge as ran out of fuel at work last night...put 10lts in and it registered just under half a tank!! Too much of a coincidence for it to be sender unit etc when it only started giving false readings at the exact time speeedo packed up.

Cheers

BM

Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 AM

not sure about the poor soldering connections on my euro spec but would like to think that checking that dismantling the dash etc would be a last option! lol

cheers

BM

Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 AM

Went out to the van this morning, started no issues and ALL dials worked perfectly including the speedo and fuel gauge !!!

Touch wood all is still good !

Got battery checked out and alternator...all is good on that score.