General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alarm/fuel shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Default Alarm/fuel shutdown

I purchased a '97 Cirrus for next to nothing because the owner could not get the alarm to turn off. They had lost the remote key. After making some phone calls to the Dealership I was told to try a few tricks with the key in the drivers door to turn off the alarm. This did turn off the horn and the flashing lights on the outside as well as in the dash. But the car will not start. It will crank, but will not start and run. It has gas in it, but the indicator reads below empty and the gauge will not move. The gas tank light on the dash flashes. We have checked the relay in the pcm and it is fine according to the ohmeter. We check the ASD and it is also getting power. However the electric component in the truck that runs to the fuel pump is not getting power. After talking with some people they are telling me that I need to have the dealer reprogram the security system to reset the computer because when the alarm went off it triggered the ASD on the fuel. I called the dealer and the dealer told me that on the 97'ssecurity system was in no way connected to the fuel system. Not wanting to settle for one opinion, I called a few more dealers and I am 2 for 2. 2 dealers tell me it needs to be reset. 2 tell me that this car's alarm would not effect the fuel system....HELP!... Taking it to the dealer will mean paying a tow truck to tow it over 25 miles and then the cost of the diagnostic check, and the chance that it is not even the alarm that is the problem. There were no manuels with the car. Can someone tell mewhere I can find in writting if the alarms on this vehicle include a fuel ASD. Also. If I do have the car reprogrammed do I need to buy a remote, or will the keys I have work with no problem once everything is reset. Thanks for any help...

Old 10-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Default RE: Alarm/fuel shutdown

Have you checked the fuel pump relay?

Have you checked for fault codes?

You may get lucky and find a shop manual on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=370094668307

Good Luck.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 PM

I don't know if your Cirrus has a chip in the key, but if it does, and you are having problems with the security system, and you have altered the settings in some way by the methods described by your dealer, it may be time for a reset of some sort.

I have no idea if this will work or help on your model, but you might try disconnecting both battery leads from the battery, then touching them together. Some car models use this as a reset.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a chip in either of the two keys that I have. I have tried touching the two cables together also. I just don't know about taking the car in for a reset, after being told by 2 dealers that the reset would have nothing to do with the fuel shut off....2 dealers say it does, 2 say it doesn't. I have someone coming out this eve, with a scanner, hopefully I can get a code of some sort that might tell me where to start.... thanks again

Old 10-18-2008, 04:03 PM

This is a common problem on older chyrsler vehicles I've seen it happen to jeeps also. The only way that i know to get it fixed is to get a new RKE fob and reset the security system. I know your going to say they aren't connect but they really are. Its the computer modules that are telling each other that something isn't right. your not going to see any wires directly connected to each other but thats what is going on. You should be able to get the new key fob and be set.