Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 2.8crd heater plug location

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 05:25 PM

Me too - add me to that list, I've always blanked till this car and each has resulted in much better MPG - acceleration etc. I did look at doing it on a GV but all the advice was it would throw a megga wobble and compensate elsewhere. As far as I'm aware they [Europe] have threatened the DPF and EGR test every year for the last 3, they did the DPF but have never implemented the EGR bit. I've never seen the usual guidance notes on EGR checking. The success or otherwise of Dans experiment may be year related as in Euro 1 (1993) and Euro 5 (2008/9) vehicles. If it works for Dan & tfb - I'm certainly having some of it for my 2005 - I've long hated the imposition of the eat~your~own~$hit~filter, and its costs .. .. both performance and financial.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:49 AM

I still need to take the inlet manifold off and clean that as didn't have time the other night so the engine is still breathing in a small amount of its own faeces. Whilst I'm at it, ie educing fuel consumption, why not de-cat the exhaust. I have to take it off to weld it soon anyway as there is a slight leak just after down pipe joint. Let's get that turbo spalling up more freely and quickly. Morally wrong? Maybe, rather have more mpg though on this thirsty beast! I was expecting EML or MIL to light up. I'm sure if it wanted to light up it would have done immediately or during yesterday's test drive. Maybe I have a fault somewhere else or maybe the P0403 code is suffice. I'm sure it's euro IV engines and beyond that will sense the egr blank which is why you need to drill a small hole to partially operate it, so anything before should be ok. I will keep on updating over the next few cold months with hopefully some good results and touch wood no MIL.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:18 AM

I don't see [EGR] it as morally wrong at all, I see it as a EURO imposed 'straight bananas & cucumbers', its an iniquitous waste of all Europeans money. Ditto the CAT's, we have to fit an expensive CAT which clogs in urban and city driving, then we are told by the manufacturers that when our brand new car clogs up we have to drive for a fast hot 40 minutes [active regeneration run] on the M25 and cough the carbon it cost us a fortune to collect for the EU parliament out of our exhaust and back into the environment onto the tarmac of the M25 - madness isn't it ?, certainly Euro 5 legislation required a Diesel Particulate Filter [DPF] to be fitted.

Typical DPF Fault Codes

P1471 - Diesel Particulate Filter (Bank 1) Regeneration not completed
P2002 - Diesel Particulate Filter (Bank 1) Efficiency below threshold
P2003 - Diesel Particulate Filter (Bank 1) Particulate mass too high
P242F - Diesel Particulate Filter (Bank 1) Regeneration not active
P244A - Particulate Filter DIfferential pressure too low
P244B - Particulate Filter Differential pressure too high
P2452 - Particulate Filter Differential pressure sensor malfunction
P2453 - Diesel Particulate Filter Differential pressure sensor malfunction
P2454 - Diesel Particulate Filter Differential pressure sensor voltage too low
P2455 - Diesel Particulate Filter Differential pressure sensor malfunction
P2458 - Particulate Filter regeneration maximum regeneration time exceeded
P2459 - Particulate Filter regeneration, regeneration frequency implausible

I am one individual with a driving frequency lifestyle that is the primary cause [er] of blockages, short journeys and very and relatively few motorway miles will stop any vehicle from ‘active regenerating’, thus causing the DPF to become blocked. Blocked DPF's lead to deteriorating engine performance, increased fuel consumption and eventual loss of power and a very irritated QinteQ.

VOSA test stations all view a CAT as a 'must be present' during the full emissions test. My understanding [and someone might want to (2014) correct me] is that with diesel there is no such VOSA requirement because a 'full' emissions [see 7.1 exhaust system] test is not performed on a diesel vehicle and should therefore pass the MOT. In that same section the schizophrenic document advises VOSA stations to reject the MOT because """A catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard""" It might however break the DfT rules in terms of the Road Vehicles Regulations 1986.

royal100805, you might want to do a pictorial 'walkthrough' for the EGR blanking and post it here .. .. because """darkchild101""" and many others will be along very soon asking for one - good work royal100805.

> as an aside <

The newest ideas in penalising the motorist is the pigs pi$$. UREA is injected as a fine spray into the exhaust catalyst, you buy a new car and it comes with a 19 litre weight of pigs pi$$ adding significantly to the cost of driving a diesel vehicle. Another mad and expensive inconvenience, and, when the supply is used you get three warnings and you are out [immobilised] till you get to a garage and pay to have it read, and reset after paying for another 19 litres of pigs pi$$.

Last edited by QinteQ; 12-10-2014 at 06:24 PM. Reason: > as an aside <
Old 11-15-2014, 07:04 AM

Regarding these stupid EGR valves! The guys on theToyota forums tried to use a blaking plate! But it just didn't work! I tried it with tthe same results on my T180 2.2 oil burner with the same results! The guys on the Lexus forum use a enumerator that tricked the Denso Ecu into thinking it was still there! So no need to remove the EGR valve and worked a treat. I would have done it myself if I'd have kept the car...

Old 11-15-2014, 08:54 AM

Regarding the EGR, I dont mind as much with emissions as I know im increasing engine life and effectively improving fuel efficiency and low down torque. However with the cat, which prevents the most amount of emissions, it is morally wrong in a sense, but I shall not lose any sleep.

You are right QinteQ, it has to be present which is why when I eventually remove the exhaust to do the welding I am going to get a rod and bash the daylights out of the honeycomb inside it. So effectively to the keen eye of an MOT tester the cat will be present but unknown to him, it will just be an empty box.

When i get round to cleaning the inlet manifold I will do my best to post pictures, especially as I didnt with the rear crank oil seal job, because I have to remove the EGR valve anyway.

It is great having the car start up on the first turn of the key and driving smoothly. Just need to replace some bushings front and rear typical with Grand Voyagers, get some new bearings for the alternator, service the engine and auto gearbox then will be like new again in my opinion. Not bad at all for a car with 201,000 miles on the clock.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:12 PM

@ 210k he's a highroller which would explain the CAK in the EGR, but clearly she can still pick her shirts up when her airway[s] are freed from the strangulation applied by EURO jobswoths. I ran 2 different BUGs over a decade and managed a clear 4MPG improvement on one and a slightly lower figure on the other - both were 1900CRD's. There was no difference at all on the two Fiat's [hot or cold] starting capabilities but the Multipla's were well known to never need a 'glow plug' ever in their whole half-lifetime.

I will do my best to post pictures
That would be helpful to many UK users, especially """user - darkchild101""". I also suspect that many others in the years to come will find the thread and benefit from the extra couple of minutes spent with a camera. Its a big ask to request the MODS to spend time builsing a loxked sticky of 'walkthrough' clutch / brakes / handbrick / rod ends / EGR etc. I suppose I could do it - not as a sticky but as a reference repository of known to work fix's.

BTW people it would help everyone if when asking any question if you SIG line stated clearly pre-stated your vehicle type, such as :

- QinteQ - 2005 Grand Voyager CRD Ltd Edn 2.8L Turbo Diesel Long Wheelbase EURO Wagon (4th Gen [Mk IV] - RG - 53 - H Series) [ US Town & Country Ltd ]
- royal100805 - 2007 Grand Voyager 2.8Crd Auto Executive XS
- TimmyTim - 2.8L Grand Voyager XS (56 Plate)