Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 grand voyager flat battery after 24hr

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
Simply read it several times over 8 years of cruising forums. No personal inference intended there QinteQ.

I've asked Chrysler techs if that is accepted practice and was told yes. My fear is any break between them, for instance slapping them together and they bounce apart even a micron, could create an arc and voltage surge and trash a microprocessor in a module. I'm a patient man. I'll wait the 15 minutes. Dealership and shop techs on a clock probably don't have that option. Sounds like a useful last resort option in the case of a module "locked in sleep mode".
Cheers Raptor 07, I'm no MOTA techie and don't pretend to be, I'm assuming there's little to no chance of an arc or anything remotely like it. All Forcing a Capacitor Dump does is leak residual stored voltage to earth, once power is lost it can't remember anything at all its an empty storage area, all temporary [replaceable learning] instructions are lost. I've emptied mine 3 times over the last weeks and each time I lose 3 miles per gallon till the gearbox learns [there is a quick-learn mode if you have a DRB III] my driving style again.

Its the equivalent of pulling J1 on any computer motherboard, it simply empty's the RAM EEprom stored instructions. The ROM instructions remain ' hard written' until eventually updated by being overwritten with a DRB III or whatever.

You are lucky over there there must be loads of 'trained' and Voyager knowledgeable techies about, over here they are as short as hens teeth, I know lots of people with variously megga scanners for all sorts of cars but not one / zero with a DRB III or indeed any kind of scanner that will read a Voyager CRD.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:36 AM

Yup, I understand but, in my years of working avionics systems on jets I've seen similar acts resulting in fried circuit boards. I will hope the less sophisticated electronic systems on these vans aren't as susceptible to it.

I don't even know what CRD stands for though I've read it many times. When I see it it means diesel to me. None of those over here but many wish they were. So you have the vans we want and we have the techs you need. Crazy isn't it.

Have you tried other forums for your scanner search? here's a few:

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan-23/
http://www.dodgetalk.com/
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/forum.php

Last edited by Raptor 07; 03-03-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
Yup, I understand but, in my years of working avionics systems on jets I've seen similar acts resulting in fried circuit boards. I will hope the less sophisticated electronic systems on these vans aren't as susceptible to it.

I don't even know what CRD stands for though I've read it many times. When I see it it means diesel to me. None of those over here but many wish they were. So you have the vans we want and we have the techs you need. Crazy isn't it.

Have you tried other forums for your scanner search? here's a few:

Dodge Caravan - DodgeForum.com
DodgeTalk.com
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
CRD just means : electronic Common Rail Diesel, they've been been around in the UK mainstream for 3 or more decades. Essentially old diesel engines had a pre-chamber run by clanky old inefficient mechanical overworked multi-staged pump system and the CRD's have a high pressure [25,000 psi] fuel rail delivered to computer controlled electronic injectors directly above the piston with no need for a pre-chamber. The result is a quieter, more fuel efficient, cleaner, and more powerful than the old indirect mechanical injection units they replaced, unfortunately this precise control over injector firings [up to 5 staggered quantities of fuel delivery] timed over the course of the power stroke needs a computer to control it.

I'll have a trawl through those other forums, thanks for the heads up on that one.

Its easy for Americans to forget that will all the warts and odd issues with your home grown motor industry, these vehicles have a long and proud history and pedigree.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
Remind your tech that on some of the fuses, especially the IOD, when he plugs it back in, it wakes up the BUS and you have to start over again.
Hi, thanks I will let him know. He did say that the current draw went up to 1.5amps, he thought it maybe a body module but didnt have the computor to run diagnostic he is cont to check. Thanks

Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM

Hi
I am also having the same issues as Adrian. Firstly what is the BUS you reffer to?
I also get a draw from the IOD cicuit. Are you saying this will stop after 15 minutes?
Also Adrian did you come to any conclusion with your?